Chapter forty

It was Monday. A day to resume back to school and to workplaces after two days of recess. The day before, I had returned from my outing before aunt Caro and her family got back to the house. And ever since they got back, I hadn't spoken to Amanda to thank her for what she did for me yesterday. She had been in her room with Annabelle. I hated to go into their room for anything because that was just me asking for trouble and that was the last thing I wanted in my life right now. It was better to just stay off their business and maintain my lane.

I got out of the kitchen and was heading to my room to dress up for school when I saw Amanda, in her school uniform, coming down from the staircase.

"I'm going to dad's car already o." Amanda hollered, I guess to Annabelle because Annabelle hollered "Okay" from her room.

"Hi Amanda." I said and she stopped dead in her tracks. She turned to look at me without saying anything. "Em, thanks for yesterday. You saved me from trouble. I owe you one."

Amanda smiled; a smile that I didn't expect. "Don't mention. Learn to hide everything given to you by Peter. Don't leave any traces for suspicion. The cap was given to you by Peter right?" She asked.

So it appeared that Amanda didn't know that the cap was Peter's and that Peter was in my room yesterday. Well, a good thing she didn't.

"Yes it was." I answered.

"That boy likes you sha." She snorted in a chuckle and shook her head. She walked closer to me and said in a whisper. "Don't let Annabelle know about that cap unless you wouldn't like yourself. Off to school. See you later!" That said, she walked off.

"Wow" was all I could say as I watched her leave. I was surprised by her sudden treatment towards me. How did she all of a sudden become as nice as pie? Hope this wasn't any plan by she and her sister to get something from me because her friendliness was sure questionable. I needed to be careful. I needed to watch my back, in case she had any ulterior motive.

I got to school quite early, at least soon enough to avert punishment. I engaged in a little chit chat with Gbemi and Adam before a teacher walked in. Then series of boring lectures took place before it was eventually break time.

"Oh finally!" I said as the maths teacher walked out of the class.

"So Daniella, where's my Valentine gift?" Adam asked. Just then Gbemi walked to our seats.

"Am I your girlfriend?" I said.

"Does it matter? Is Valentine for only romantic partners?" Adam asked.

"I wonder o." Gbemi added.

"Who put your mouth Gbemi? Do you even know what we're talking about?" I said.

"From Adam's last statement, I do."

"Anyways, guess what?"

"What?" Adam and Gbemi asked simultaneously.

"You know I told you that my aunt seized the phone Peter bought for me..."

Adam didn't let me finish. He was so eager to hear what I had to say. "Yeah, yeah we know. So what?"

"Well Peter gave me a new Android phone yesterday as a Valentine gift."

"Aw!" Adam cooed.

"Whoa, cool! How does he get money to buy new phones for you?" Gbemi asked.

"I don't know." I shrugged.

"And you don't care to ask him."

"Peter's from a rich family, so that automatically makes him rich."