Chapter thirty-nine

It was a bright Sunday afternoon and there was no light. It was a usual thing for the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) not to restore power on a Sunday in this area.

After we had gotten back from church, I prepared lunch for the family. We all had lunch and after which everyone went to their various rooms upstairs. Ever since, the whole house had been dead silent. Perhaps they were all preparing to go out to celebrate Valentine's Day together because aunt Caro had mentioned something about that earlier on today in the car. For me, I was thinking of how I was going to leave this house to Peter's house. He had invited me to his house so we could both spend time out together; but that could only happen if aunt Caro and her family went out. I hope they did.

A thud from the backyard ripped me off my thought. I moved towards the window in my room and opened it a little. I saw someone on the floor. A burglar? I squinted my eyes to get a clearer picture of the person. It was obviously a boy. But who? When the boy got to his feet, I was surprised to see it was Peter.

Peter!

What was he doing here? And why did he come through the fence at the backyard? It was so risky. I hope Annabelle and Amanda hadn't seen him from their window upstairs.

I opened the window completely for Peter to see me. He smiled and scratched the nape of his neck sheepishly the instant he caught sight of me. Giggling lightly, I shook my head at him. He walked towards me, holding his elbow like he was hurt.

"Are you okay? Hope you're not hurt." I said when he got close to me.

"No I'm not." He answered sarcastically. "Of course I am. That fence is way too high. It's not like I can't even climb over it, but I don't know, I kinda lost my balance and boy, my arm hurt!" He whined.

I giggled. "So whose fault is it now?"

He shot me a glare. "I came to see you, so it's your fault!"

I scoffed. "Did I ask you to come and see me?"

"Shut up Daniella and let me get in."

I turned around to be sure no one was behind me. "Get in? Peter that's too risky."

"Does anyone ever come into your room?"

"Not often, but yes they do."

"So I'm just gonna stay outside here?" He asked.

"Hold on." I walked towards my room door and locked it. I walked back to meet Peter at the window. "You can come in."

He jumped over the window into my room. He was putting on a black cap, a deep blue denim jacket over a white top and a black tight trousers with a Nike trainers.

"You look good by the way."

"Don't I always look good?" He smirked smugly. "But my elbow hurts."

"That's what you deserve for your cocky attitude."

"Daniella, my elbow hurts and that's all you could say?" He curved his lips downwards in a way that made me giggle.

"Okay sorry, if that's what you wanna hear."

"That's not what I wanna hear. I want you to do something else." He raised one of his brows.

"Like?"

"I don't know. You decide." He shrugged.

"Hmm." I stroked my chin and cocked my head thoughtfully. Then I inched closer to him and pecked him on the cheek. For some unknown reason, it felt awkward.

He sighed dreamily and took off his cap. "Now that's more like it. The pain is gone."

I smacked his head as I laughed.