Part 3: Yule Ball Memory

Scene 4:

The very first kiss had taken place not even a year earlier at the Yule Ball. It had been very awkward as she had been there as the date of Victor Krum, a famous Bulgarian Quiddich seeker, and Draco had been there with another Slytherin, Pansy Parkinson. It was a strange event, as it seemed all eyes had been on her that day, but the ones she noticed the most were the astonished grey silver orbs of her nemesis. Or at least that's what she had thought of him then.

When she had first descended the steps and felt everyone's eyes on her, it was Draco in his black velvet dress robe who she noticed, though she tried not to show it. It wasn't that he was dressed for success, in fact the high collar of his robe looked a little ridiculous. No, it was the fact that for once he was speechless in her presence. The boy who earlier that year had hexed her and given her huge horrid teeth. The boy she had slapped two years ago for laughing about Buckbeat's impending execution. The boy who almost certainly hated her for not being pureblood. And yet now, he was nothing like his usual self. In that fact, he turned away from her as she passed by him and his date. It wasn't a rude or baleful turn, but one of embarrassment for staring at someone so long.

And then later that evening as Victor left her side to greet some of his fellow teammates, for some strange reason she found herself looking to see if Draco were anywhere around. After all, it gave her a sense of satisfaction to see him so uncomfortable at the sight of the new her, the young lady in the periwinkle blue. Her eyes found him standing in a corridor doorway. He was alone, leaning against the frame, and his eyes seemed to be boring holes into her.

She didn't quite know why she wanted a confrontation. Perhaps she would find it fun, or seeing how he'd been speechless earlier, to goad him into some new insult, so he would be back to usual Malfoy behavior. Either way, she found herself approaching him.

"What are you staring at, Malfoy?"

He didn't respond at first, and when he tried to smile it came off more like a smirk, but she didn't  mind. "My doom," he finally replied.

"Do I look that bad? No wait, don't answer that. You are not one who would say something nice."

Again the smirk. "I was going to say you look beautiful, but since my words don't matter..."

He turned away from her in an attempt to walk off but Hermione took a couple steps after  him. "Draco, I'm sorry..."

He stopped, but didn't turn to face her.

"I can't believe I'm apologizing to you for anything..." Hermione continued.

"I guess that makes us even, for I cant believe I think you look...ravishing."

He finally turned to look at her, took a few steps closer, then changed his mind, choosing instead to walk away, his black velvet robes swishing in his wake.

Hermione, against her better judgement, followef him into a dark corridor, away from the sound of the festivities. "Draco, what has gotten into you?"

He turned to her, his eyes narrowing. "You have. But perhaps it's just the season. I shouldn't be thinking such things about a mudblood."

She let the comment slide. "What kind of things are you talking about? If you are planning some trick or insult to embarass me on this night, I will...."

He kissed her. It was quick but still a kiss. His lips touched hers and it was long enough to make her close her eyes and enjoy it, even if it was Draco. But then the moment was over, the brief smooch done, and she slapped him.

"Draco!" She scolded. "What are you doing?"

He touched his cheek where she slapped him.  It was red. But so was her own face, whether in anger or embarassment, no one could tell. They stood looking at each other a moment, neither saying a word, but then he answered her.

"I was just ...wanting...needing...no..."  He stopped and hung his head. When he raised it again, he couldn't look at her. "Hermione, the greatest tragedy in my life so far is... wanting what I know I can't have." He finally allowed his grey eyes to see her. "Everyone likes you. Krum. Potter. Weasley..."

"Ron? Don't be ridiculous..."

"But I am ridiculous. Ridiculously,  hopelessly, ...." He let it hang in the air.

Hermione waited for him to finish, but he never did. Never even had a chance to.

"Are you okay, angel?" A deep voice interrupted. It was Victor Krum.

Hermione smiled at her rugged date. "Yes, I'm fine...Draco and I were just talking."

Krum looked at Malfoy and raised a thick eyebrow.

"A disagreement as usual," Draco clarified. He looked at Hermione, his eyes unreadable, but seemingly cold again. "No need to discuss this later."

Victor seemed satisfied, but Hermione peered at Draco with different, kinder eyes. "No disagreement," she answered, "just bewilderment."

As she walked off, her arm linked through Victor's, she dared to glance back with some satisfaction. After all, she'd felt Draco's eyes upon her, and though it surprised her to think so, she liked his attention, and as the hours passed on further into night, she found her mind returning to Draco's attempt at a kiss.