Part 21: Hearts Afire In An Empty Sky

Scene 31:

The afternoon was growing overcast, though there were still a few hours left. Darkness seemed to be descending on the driveway leading to Malfoy Mansion. Not that Hermione or Draco noticed. They couldn't see anything other than the back of their eyelids and the dreamscape that danced in their heads. Eyes closed, lips mingling moist kisses, melting like snow on a warm hearth, they were in their own moment and world. Having been seperated by unfortunate choices and pride for days, the time apart had brought them crashing against one another in intense joy and a desire neither of them understood.

Hermione could have stayed right there forever, at the beginning of the Malfoy driveway, inside of Draco's embrace, but it was getting colder outside and the events of the day had exhausted them both. They needed the warmth of the house and to get off their feet for awhile.

"We should go inside," Draco said. "They might be looking for us. If they followed..."

Hermione grabbed his hand. "Come on, let's go." She certainly didn't want to be standing in the middle of the path if a slew of Death Eaters should apparate in front of them.

They both walked up the drive and to the house. A dog howled in the distance again. Was it the same one Hermione had noted on her arrival, or had perhaps another joined it to stalk them from some spot hidden in the woods?

"Wolves," Draco told her, noticing her trepidation. "We get them around here sometimes." He squeezed her hand. "Of course, most of them are friends of my dad."

She gave him a sharp quizzical look, and he laughed. She punched him playfully in the arm, and they went up the front steps to the large ornate door of the mansion.

Once inside, Hermione was taken back by the size of the place. High ceilings, a large foyer, and when Draco led her to the dining hall with its immense fireplace, she was already thinking the place was more suited for giants than people.

Draco pulled a seat out for her at the table. She sat down in the high backed chair and glanced over at the fireplace. No flame burnt in its hearth and though they were inside now, she could see her own breath.

"How did you know where I was?" Hermione asked, as Draco sat in the chair beside her.

He looked at her with a confused look. "What do you mean?"

"When you saved me from your...um double?"

He hesitated. But only slightly. "Umbridge."

Her jaw dropped. "Professor Umbridge sent you to save me?"

He laughed. "Hardly." Getting up, he walked to the fireplace mantle, his back to her so he wouldn't have to look in her eyes. "She sent me to spy on you."

Now she stood up too. "Spy on me? For what?"

He sighed. "She says someone told her there was an unauthorized secret meeting going down and she wanted to know what it was. I guess she thinks you're a real rebel."

"Maybe I am," Hermione replied proudly.

"I didn't always think so, but I'm beginning to see that. I'm just not sure how far you want to take this rebel thing."

"What's that mean?"

He turned towards her. "Well...are you here to stay the night or....?"

Her face registered surprise, but it wasn't shock. It was blushing embarassment.
"Draco, we can't stay the night. We have to get back."

"That's true, but we both have afternoon passes. And the afternoon isnt over yet." He looked around the room. "And there's no one here but us."

She smiled slyly. "What are you suggesting?"