Part 22: Night Bus Confessions

Scene 32:

Draco and Hermione took the night bus back to Hogwarts. They sat in the back so they could have their privacy, yet it didn't really matter. They were the only ones onboard. Hermione held Draco's hand in her lap, her fingers curled around his. Her head lay over on his shoulder in perfect contentment. She wished the bus would drive far past the school and take them far away to where no one knew them.

Draco looked at her and smiled. Kissing the top of her head, he too imagined the night bus would carry them far from familiar surroundings and deposit them somewhere they could start life anew. Returning to Hogwarts brought the realization they would be a secret once more.

The afternoon had been amazing. Though it had included being attacked by death eaters, they had spent the late afternoon alternating between cuddling by the fire and slow dancing to music within the empty solace of Malfoy Manor. At one point Draco had revealed the secret piano, an ancient musical instrument hidden by a charm. It had sat invisible in the corner but with a wave of his wand it appeared and began to play a  beautiful song. Hermione loved the melody it played and she allowed Draco to sway her around the floor, his cheek against hers, warm sweet breath in her ear. The fact he hadn't replaced his then buttonless shirt and instead left it open made the dance even more wonderful. Despite being sorry for ripping all the buttons off earlier, her hands rested on his exposed chest, tracing her name on his skin. When the sweet melody finished, she sighed, "That was beautiful."

"One day I'm going to learn how to play it with my own hands," he promised.

"I believe you can do whatever you set your mind to do."

"What about what my heart sets to do?"

She smiled. "I believe the heart may be a little more fickle than that."

Draco laughed in her ear. "Yes, I suppose you're right. When I graduate I'm liable to get married to Pansy Parkinson."

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "Oh God no. I think you'd be more compatible with Daphne Greengrass."

"Well, Daphne is a true blood," he replied, thinking of his Slytherin classmate. "And she comes from an old, respected wizarding family." He put his hand on his chin as if lost in thought. "Hmmmm..."

"This mudblood is going to kick your butt," Hermione replied with a smirk across her face.

Draco laughed again. "Mmmm, that's what I like."

The late afternoon had been like that. Joyful teasing, playful picks on each other. With their time at the Malfoy Estate, things seemed natural. Their relationship took on the feel of real boyfriend and girlfriend, and found them kissing madly whenever the conversation lagged.

"I wish it could always be this way," Hermione remarked at one point.

Draco sighed. "Me, too."

But somewhere inside, Hermione felt it was a wish that would never be granted. There was no charm or spell that would change who they were. No bottled genie was going to appear and change the world around them. The stars above would always be crossed while fate laughed at them from across the street. Even the darkest arts couldn't find a place for their affections to dwell.

"It's getting late," Hermione said, trying not to sob over these realizations.

Draco pulled away from her to look in her eyes. There was no hiding the fact they were tearing up. "What's wrong, Hermione?"

"Nothing," she quickly answered. "It's just...we better be getting back. We're going to be in enough trouble as it is."

He looked at her, trying to determine the truth as if it were hidden on her skin somewhere. When she didn't explain her emerging tears further, he kissed her eyelids. "Whatever is wrong, you can tell me whenever you wish to, and we'll find a solution together."