Part 29: Goodnight Malfoy

Scene 47:

"Damn, that had to hurt," a voice said from behind her in the darkness. Hermione spun, already taking aim with her wand when she realized it was Draco. "Looks like I'm a little late to this party," he added. He shook his head. "Good thing, too."

She wanted to fling herself in his arms, but she held her ground, waiting to see what his move was going to be. And then the thought came to her. He hadn't spoken to her in awhile because of the Ron thing, and now suddenly when she's under attack, he shows up. Why exactly is that, the suspicious side of her wondered. "What brings you here, Malfoy? Here to lend your friend a hand in paying me back?"

She didn't mean to sound so angry, but in essence she was. Draco had given her hell for pecking Ron on the cheek. He had gotten her boys in trouble, abandoned her, and hadn't given a care whether she had cried over him constantly since.

"Oh come on, Hermione. You actually think I would attack you, or help someone else to do it? It ticks me off you kissed Ron, but....hey, where'd he go?"

Hermione looked at where her assailant lay on the floor. Except he was no longer there. "Oh no," she said. "He's getting away. We have to tell..."

Draco drew his wand and pointed it high in the darkened room. For a moment Hermione thought he was going to put a spell on the ceiling, or more likely restore the lights. Instead he mumbled an incantation that didn't even sound familiar to her. Where did he learn that, she thought, though she wasn't even sure what "that" even was. Sparks flew across the top of the ceiling, scattering in all directions. Draco grinned. "There. Let's see him get through that," Draco gloated.

Her anger momentarily forgotten, she couldn't help her curiosity, though she certainly wasn't ready to forgive him. "What is it?" she asked.

"It seals off all entrances and exits in the room. He can't get out."

Suddenly there was a furious sound, like that of a gathering wind, from the front of the library. "Well crap," Draco muttered. "I think he knows that one. I guess that tells us who sent the eater this time."

"Who?"

He looked at her with a sorrow in his eyes. "My dad." And with that declaration, he took off down the aisle towards the entrance.

"Your dad? Draco, wait!"

Hermione took off after him, her wand gripped tightly in her hand. She tried to think of a charm that would help either herself or Draco defeat an experienced death eater. Sure, she had fought back and stopped his attack mere seconds ago, but then she'd had the element of suprise. Now, the villian would be ready.

It was still dark in the room, and she lost sight of Draco within moments. But she could hear the enchanted wind ahead as it built up in its fury. She ran down the aisle and came out in the library atrium to find Draco confronting the death eater. At first it seemed Malfoy had the best of him, holding him nearly immoble with a conjured lasso at least six inches thick. But then the wind threw Draco aside, and the Slytherin crashed on top of a table that cracked beneath him.

"No!" Hermione screamed, and then looked up. The sparks that Draco had sent across the ceiling to trap the death eater in the room were fading. Twinkling out as if the hands of an invisible giant was snuffing out each one like candle. And with that came the same effect on Draco. Pinned to the table top as if a giant foot was crushing him there, Draco coughed and thrashed, the diminishing sparks reflecting in his terrified eyes.

She drew her wand, but the death eater disarmed her easily. She had been right. Now he was prepared. And this time as her wand skidded across the floor, he didn't grab her from behind. Instead he pointed his own wand, his face distorted in anger. His hand shook as if he were having trouble containing his fury.

"Stupid little girl," he hissed. He glanced at Draco who now seemed barely conscious. "And little boy." Another wand materialized in his other hand. "If you were anyone else, you both would be food for the Dark Lord. But as it is, my instructions are simply to deliver a message."

Draco groaned and tried to sit up . "Do not move, young Malfoy. JUst because you are who you are doesn't mean I'm forbidden to hurt you." A quick glare at Hermione. "I am not forbidden to hurt you however. What is forbidden is this. Your little secret rendezvous days are over."

"You.." Draco started to say, before a flash erupted from the tip of the Death Eater's wand and sent him into fits of writhing discomfort and pain.

"Shut up and listen, for I will not repeat myself. You have already been told once by those who rule over you. Don't make them turn to more drastic measures for you to heed their instruction. You will cease from your little trysts with this mudblood." He looked at Hermione. "And you, little firecat, when you see Draco coming, you best just go the other way. You are not friends. you are not..." He snickered. "Lovers." With a threatening jab of his wand at Hermione he added, "You are not anything."

in a quick movement, Draco rolled off the table and attempted to get up. A shower of flame shot from the Death Eater's wand and his body contorted and twisted, as if an unseen puppeteer were jerking his limbs one way and the other. Draco screamed.

"If am sent to deal with either of you asgain, the visit will be fatal. Your instructions are simple. Stay away from each other. Hate each other again as you once did. Anything else is forbidden and will end painfully for both of you if you persist."

He released Draco from his mad fits and the Slytherin boy collapsed on the ground, still and unmoving. The man turned to take in Hermione with his intense, darkened eyes. "Remember, I can read your thoughts when I am near." He took a step towards her and she backed away. He kept coming. It was obvious he loved the fear. "There is no way out of this, Miss Granger. You either obey...or you face worse consequences than watching Draco...sleep."

He directed a wand at Malfoy and there was a quiet hiss that passed from the tip to Draco's lips. A look of quiet peace passed across the boy's face. "He truly cant save you now." He licked his lips. "Another time and I would show you the rewards for those who serve the right side. But as it is, everyone knows you will not change. And so here we are just watching Draco sleep. Sweet dreams." And with that, he jabbed the wand. It hissed and within seconds she eased to the floor unconscious. The last thing she saw before succumbing to the spell was Draco's still form, and for a second she wanted to try and crawl to him as they do in the movies when lovers wish to die together.

Scene 48:

Hermione came to with the sensation of someone shaking her. Fighting the grogginess, she opened her eyes to the sight of Cho Chang kneeling over her. The pretty Asian student had a look of fear and worry in her eyes.

"Hermione, please wake up, please," she was pleading. Another shake helped dislodge the dreary after effects of the spell.

She sat up. "Oh my God," she muttered, holding her head. She looked around the room, her gaze now becoming desperate. "Where is..." she began, but stopped herself. No one could know she and Draco had been in the library together.

Luckily, Cho didn't catch it. But the Patil sisters did. They were both standing behind
Cho and looking on the scene with horror. "Someone attacked you," they simultaneously asked.

"Yes," Hermione replied, with a dizzying nod of her head. "I think it was a Death Eater."

The three girls looked on her with shock. "A Death Eater?" Cho helped Hermione to her feet. "We have to tell someone."

Granger shook her head quickly enough. "No," she said.

"Why not?"

"It will endanger too many people," she lied. She knew the only ones threatened were she and Draco. Death Eaters would never dream of attacking the whole school. But where was Draco now? Did the Death Eater take him? Or had Malfoy awakened and taken the first step of carrying out the villain's instructions that he abandon her? Oh Draco, she thought. Please dont leave me.