Chapter 16

Hank's fingers drummed the steering wheel, he thought maybe they were done with all of this bullshit but turns out that they weren't even close

Hank's fingers drummed the steering wheel, he thought maybe they were done with all of this bullshit but turns out that they weren't even close. Connor wasted no time to go to Hank for help when they got the message from Canada. She is dying. Her android counterparts had shut down and her whole human system heavily relied on those. It would have only been a matter of minutes that she would have completely gone out if it wasn't for North who had gone back to get her. When they found her she was out of it. And of course, her situation was dire and there was no one else who could help them but Kamski.

The prospect of going back to Kamski and asking for his help where it concerned Kat made Hank's stomach twist. But they had no choice, he was the only one who could help and they had no time to wait for someone to think of someone other than Kamski.

Connor sat perfectly still. his mind reeling. He was trying to construct a scene of her body, the bullet wounds, the place of her biocomponents, the structure of her plating, and how exactly he would get to work. They needed Kamski to tell them how to do it. Maybe upload a software, something so Connor would know how to deal with this. Somewhere in the back of his mind, a thought and image persisted of Kat laying on the ground in the snow, bleeding out, her last thoughts knowing that she was going to die. Although, he didn't know what she felt or thought. He was determined to ask her about it when she's better.

Markus hadn't even hesitated to let them go to help. It seemed that for now, everything was under control in Detroit and Markus didn't need them there. He would rather them help Kat, yet he couldn't find any relief knowing that she had made a sacrifice. North had told him everything, how they jumped off the bridge and Kat held them off and how they had to get away from search teams and Kat couldn't do it anymore. Markus vaguely relayed this information to Connor, seeing that Connor's LED had glowed a violent and raging red when he had told him that Kat isn't in a good position. Not even in a stable condition.

As the car pulls to a halt and Connor gets out, looking at the building he considered architecturally and aesthetically pleasing, he feels a tug in his abdomen, as if something had tugged at his wires. "Come on, kid. We don't have any other choice." Hank says having seen Connor stiffen. Connor just turns to Hank and files this as a mission. If he considers this a mission, he should be more determined to actually go through with this. Somewhat.

"Connor, Lieutenant Anderson. What can I do for you?" Chloe asks slightly stunned at their reappearance after the incident last time. "We need to speak to Kamski." Hank states coldly and gruffly. He didn't have the same awfully overwhelming feeling of being at the creator's house. He just felt highly bothered and knew that every minute wasted here, was a minute of Kat's life they most likely won't be able to get back. Chloe simply nods and lets them inside. She walks to the door to the pool and disappears.

"This place gives me the creeps." Hank murmurs regarding the portrait of Kamski before hesitating before sitting down as if everything here was filled with unintelligible evil. Connor just stands, not looking at anything in particular, his mind playing a deconstruction of Kat's android installments and how Kamski could have made them fit with her human parts.