Taxi. Tax I. Taxes.

I want it so bad someone send help why did I have to be cursed with an allergy or intolerance to lactose.

someone tell me if we would like a looooooooooong fanfiction or a short one because I cannot decide.

.-.

Keefe sneezed just before he got to bite into a sandwich Dex had made them earlier that morning.

"Gross, dude."  Dex said, shielding his food.

"Sorry,"  Keefe said with a sniff.  "Apparently even my nose wants to get a piece of this."

Dex scoffed as he bit into his own filled with cheese and, well, more cheese.  What could he say? Cheese was good.

Keefe's bread meanwhile consisted of cheese and weirdly enough cucumbers with ketchup on them, but Dex wasn't  about to go off on Keefe about his diet when he himself had an addiction to cinnacreme.

"This is good,"  Keefe said, breaking Dex out of his thoughts.

"Surprising considering your sandwich is literally the devil."

"He's not the devil.  He's just a sweet lil' guy that you made me to eat."  Keefe said, cooing at the food in front of him as Dex rolled his eyes.

Why did all the cute people have to be at least a little bit insane?

Once the boys were finished with their food they began the debate on what to take: the ground train or, as Keefe liked to call it, the flying train.

"I think we should call this argument 'The Great Dizznee-Sencen Train War.'"

"I think we should just agree that a normal, grounded train would be much nicer to take."

Keefe groaned.  "What's with you and being on the solid ground?  Once we get back home I'm making Silveny fly you around.  Then you'll see how much fun the air is."

From what Dex could remember of Silveny's flying lessons with Sophie the first time, that didn't sound too fun.  And his face must have shown what he was thinking because Keefe quickly added, "But I'll be with you the whole time so you'll have to put up with my awesomeness."

As much as he hated to admit it, that sounded kind of nice to Dex - just so long as Silveny didn't throw them in a pile of sparkly poo.

"Aww.  I see that smile wiggling it's way onto your face."

Dex forced his lips to uncurl. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Oh, please.  Just admit it.  It sounds fun."

"Maybe a little bit.  But I'm not doing it unless we take a train."

Keefe paused for a moment before sighing, nodding, and holding out his hand.  "We shake on it to make it official?"

Dex nodded as well, taking the others hand and shaking.  However, he let it drop once Keefe's casual smirk turned to a sort of evil.

"What?"

"We'll take a flying train, you'll fly on Silveny, and it will be great."  The Sencen boy looked far too pleased with himself.

"Hang on!  We never agreed to that!"

"Dizznee, we just shook hands."

Dex opened his mouth before closing it back up when he realized he was at a loss for words.  He repeated the action a few more times, probably largely resembling a fish out of water, before he came up with his only excuse.  "But it's called an airplane.  Not a flying train."

"I've been referring to it as a flying train for the past while now.  And you've started referring to a normal train as a grounded train, so really, I win."

"That's not how this works."

"This is how this works," Keefe said, putting a hand on Dex's cheek before snatching it away and shaking it out as if he'd been burned.

"What are you doing?"  Dex asked, puzzled.

"Well I was seeing if you were sick, and apparently you are.  A nasty case of forgetful fever, I'd say.  Don't look so sad, Dizznee.  I'm sure it's curable."

To say Dex wasn't already planning the concoction of nasty elixirs he'd slip in Keefe's food and drinks would be like saying that Sophie wasn't oblivious with her love life.

.-.

"So what do we do again?"  Keefe asked, starring at the road full of death traps known as cars.

"I think just jump up and down and wave your arms until a taxi sees you."  Dex responded, biting his lip as he looked out at the packed roads.

The plan was to get a taxi to take the boys to the airport since the two had no idea where to even begin to look for it.  After that they'd ask someone at a counter when the next flight to San Francisco would be and where the plane would be.  Even in their heads the idea didn't sound to great, but it was all they could come up with.

Keefe turned to Dex.  "So we just need to be really obnoxious to get attention?"

"Yep.  Sounds like your kind of job."  The technopath said as he backed away.

"Right about that.  I'm the pro at this kind of stuff!"

"I'd bet," Dex mumbled under his breath.

Keefe began jumping up and down and waving his arms like a nuisance.  Soon enough there was a taxi cab pulling up to the boys.

The empath got in first, scooting to the far side for Dex.

"Where to, boys?"  The man asked.

"The airport?"  Dex asked, looking in the review mirror at the man's dull brown eyes.

"Alrighty.  You two have the money for that?"

"Yep."

And with that, the taxi was on the road.

Dex swallowed as he tried to think about how hundreds of thousands of millions of humans did this everyday and how most of them came out completely unscathed.  Though, it wasn't easy as he listened to the angry drivers honk at one another in the traffic.

Keefe and Dex kept quiet in the backseat, staring out of their respective windows.  Dex was half zoned out when he felt the car take a swift, tight curve and a hand grab his knee.  Looking to his side, he not surprisingly found Keefe with his eyes shut tight.

"You okay?"  Dex asked quietly.

Keefe nodded, but his more pale than normal face seemed to say otherwise.  As did the hand he had on Dex's knee.

Gently, Dex picked up the hand and held it in his own.  "We're almost there."  At least he hoped.

"I know,"  Keefe breathed.  "Sorry.  I don't know why of all things this is freaking me out.  And oh my god why do the roads have to be so curvy?"

"Probably because it's a death trap in traffic with more death traps."  Dex mumbled.

The man driving the taxi laughed and both their heads quickly turned in his direction.

"Sorry, boys.  Didn't mean to eavesdrop there.  But you're probably right about this ol' thing being a death trap," he whistled.  "I mean there are some crazy drivers on the road."

Yes, because this was helping Keefe's anxiety.

"Ah, ha ha."  Dex tried to laugh.

His pathetic attempt at least made Keefe break out of his fear for a moment to give a snort.

Dex smiled as he squeezed Keefe's hand, and Keefe squeezed back.