Biker Man

Dex Dizznee could not fall asleep.

Dex Dizznee would not fall asleep.

And, quite frankly, Dex Dizznee did not want to fall asleep.

Nonetheless he still tried.  Head down on the table, in his arms, on Keefe's shoulder, sprawled out across the booth, and on Keefe's lap were all positions he tried until.

But when there's still one creepy biker man also spending the night in a fast food place who keeps looking back at you like you're a rabbit and he's a dog, sleep is the least of your worries.

"Dude," Keefe said as Dex looked back up at him, "you do realize that tomorrow I am not carrying you, right?  I was hoping you'd carry me a bit since, ya know, I also need sleep."

Dex looked back under the table where weird balls that looked like pink mold were stuck.  Keefe's lap was comfortable and all, but it did not provide a nice view.  "Yeah, I know."

"At this rate, we're never going to get to Amy's house."  Keefe whined, looking at their now empty basket.  "Why don't we trade positions?  I sleep on a cute boy's lap and you stay up and watch guard - I'm easier to wake up you know."  Keefe added when he probably felt Dex's emotions slide.

Dex furrowed his brows.  "Didn't we have a fight about who was harder to wake up?"

"Uh, yeah and if you don't remember, you got the crown of being hardest to wake up."

Dex sighed and, after a moment, forced himself back into a seating position.  "You'd better be true to your word."

"You'd better be true to your word." The Empath mimicked as he traded positions with Dex.  "If you keep being this angsty, I won't be able to sleep either, you know."

"Well if you keep being this annoying I won't be able to stop being angsty."

"Good comeback."

"Shut up."

"You shut up."

"Keefe Sencen, I swear to God if you don't be quiet right now-"

"Alright, I'm shutting up."

Dex sighed and tried to focus on calming things.  Like butterflies and puppies.  Or butterflies becoming friends with puppies.  Geez, that must be something only Linh would dream about.

After a few minutes of listening to Keefe's breath even out (how on earth did this boy fall asleep so quickly?!) the Technopath put his arms and head on the table.  If he was going to be sat in one space all night then he was going to be comfortable, even if there was still some old guy just a few booths away.

Turning his head to look out the window, Dex was met with darkness and no moon.  Fantastic.  He turned his head a bit more in search of a clock until he found one by the door.  12:00 a.m.  Perfect.  He had at the least six hours to go before he could wake up Keefe - unless something happened and he really hoped nothing would.

It was going to be a long night.

.-.

Dex must have accidentally fallen asleep at some point because he woke up to the old man shaking him.

His eyes shot open as he sat up.

"Whoa, calm down there."  The man said, putting up his hands to show that there was nothing in them.  "I just wanted to make sure you two were alright.  I'm afraid I heard you two talkin' a bit ago about needing to get to somebody's house.  Yer not runaways are ya?"

Dex opened his mouth to say something before closing it and shaking his head.  Subtly, he pinched Keefe's ear.

"Alright, well, I'm not expectin' ya to tell me if you are, I just wanted to tell the two of ya to stay safe.  The world's a dangerous place, you know.  Especially when yer, uh," He gestured to the two of them like that meant something.  "People aren't so nice."

"Uh, yeah."  Dex said.  WHY WASN'T KEEFE WAKING UP?

The old man's face broke out into a grin, making him look quite a bit like Elwin mixed with Forkle when he smiled.  There was a child-like feature to him.  His eyes twinkled.  "Sorry if I scared ya - keeping watch of the both of ya and all.  I just wanted to make sure nobody tried to snatch you."  He held out his hand, "My name's Nic, by the way."

Carefully, Dex took his hand.  Despite everything, his mind was still screaming, 'TRAP, TRAP, TRAP!'

Nic shook Dex's hand before dropping it.  "Don't look so frightened, young one.  Anyways, I just wanted ta say.  Oh and," he reached into his pocket, pulling out a twenty dollar bill and a napkin with something written on it, "for yer travels and in case you ever need somewhere to go.  Don't worry, I can't kidnap ya with my wife and kids around."

Dex was pretty sure he meant it as a joke, but the thought was still pretty scary.  However, it would only be polite to thank him for the money.  "Thank you, uh, Sir."

"'Course.  Well, stay safe.  And tell yer boyfriend I said hello."

Dex felt his mouth drop as the old man walked away.

Boyfriend?...

"Did he just call me your boyfriend?"  A voice said as something rolled over in Dex's lap.

Dex looked down only to be met with Keefe's stupid grinning face.  "Were you awake this whole time?"

"You seemed to have had it covered."

"KEEFE."

Keefe laughed.  "I would have done something if you were in danger, but he seemed nice."

"He joked about kidnapping me."

"He joked in an attempt to make you feel more comfortable.  And he mistook us for boyfriends.  I liked that guy."