leave me alone i wrote this on a few hours of sleep

Keefe Sencen decided he did not like airports.  First of all, everything was super pricey and he wanted some human cash to show Ro when he got back, secondly the place was a nightmare, and thirdly the entire place was terrifying.  Seriously, there were people sleeping on the floor, in chairs, upside down, right side up, sideways, the other sideways.  People eating at these weird restaurants that he and Dex had been dying to go into.  Some mother and her daughter were playing with cards and getting waaay too into it.  And the security was hell.  It was as if the security were the Neverseen and Keefe and Dex were Sophie.   Not.  Fun.

The good news was (after quite some time) Dex and Keefe managed to find their flight and were now busy hiding under the obscurer.  But the really good news was that Dexter wasn't complaining anymore.  Why was that?  Because practically the second the boys took a seat on the ground, Dex fell asleep on Keefe's shoulder.

Keefe grinned as he turned his head towards Dex to get a better look him.  Yep, still asleep.  Still very, very peaceful.  He was even wearing the sweatshirt they'd bought and he looked super tiny.  The sweatshirt practically engulfed him.

The Empath turned his attention towards the clock on the opposite wall. About an hour left until their flight took off.  Way too long if you asked him, but what could he do?  Speed up time?  He wasn't Foster.

Turning his attention back to the notebook in his hand, he paused his movements when he felt Dex stir.  He buried his face a bit more into Keefe's shoulder.  After a moment, the boy was out again and Keefe was free to continue his drawing.  He should have persuaded Dex to buy some of those colored pencils though.  The black and white was getting boring.

Maybe he should wake up Dex to go get some food too... but the line seemed so long.  Perhaps he could get something from one of the stands instead?

But at the same time he reeeeaaaally didn't want to wake up Dex.  Not only would there be more nervous complaining, but there'd also be no more warmth on his shoulder.

Maybe he could try something else however...

Keefe held his breath as he gently moved Dex off of his shoulder and propped him against the wall.  Said boy did not wake up.  He didn't even stir that time.  Slowly, Keefe scooted himself in front of Dex, grabbing his arms to drape them over his shoulders and picking up his legs.

Shakily, Keefe stood up.  And Dex stayed on his back just fine so, taking as a sign from the universe to just, ah, borrow some food, Keefe made his way to a small stand that held things like bars and muffins.

He'd eat his time away.

.-.

Ten or so more minutes to go and Keefe finally felt Dex's head lift off of his shoulder.

"Have a good nap?"  Keefe asked.  Or, tried to.  His mouth was full of muffin.

Dex didn't respond.  Only squeezing his eyes together and rubbing them with his hand, of which was a bit hidden inside of the sweatshirt sleeve.

Keefe forced himself not to choke on his food by laughing as he swallowed the mouthful.  "You good, Sleeping Beauty?"

Dex turned his attention towards Keefe that time.  "My neck hurts."

"Well, you did fall asleep on my shoulder.  Not exactly the most comfortable position if you ask me.  I would have gone for the lap instead."

Dex's eyebrows furrowed together and Keefe figured he was trying to look upset.  But if that was really his goal, he was not at all succeeding - unless looking like a kitten that didn't get it's food on time counted.

"Don't snicker."  Dex mumbled.  "Don't laugh either."

Keefe covered his mouth to muffle himself as Dex shot him a glare.

"Ugh!"  Dex threw his head into his hands.  "My head hurts.  Everything hurts."

"Want a muffin?"  Keefe asked, waving the remainder of his in front of Dex's hands.

Dex lifted his head.

"It's poppy seed."

The Technopath grabbed it faster than Ro would have been able to and that was saying something.

"Jesus, don't bite my hand off, dude."

Dex ignored him as he took what had to be the world's biggest bite out of the muffin.

"You're like a gremlin - the human version that is.  Don't feed you after you sleep."  When Dex raised an eyebrow, Keefe went on.  "Humans don't believe in feeding gremlins after midnight because then they go crazy... or something.  With you it's like don't feed you after you wake up from a nap.  Seriously, you almost took my hand with that muffin."

"You're so concerned about you hand."

With fake sadness, Keefe began petting it.  "I need him."

Dex rolled his eyes and continued stuffing his face.

And then their flight was called.

.-.-.-.-.

sorry this was so short.  more to come soon!