Chapter 6

Odin looked like he had more to say, especially since it was clear that you would be spending the next nine months in Asgard, but Frigga shook her head. She had other plans and when her arm linked with yours, it was clear those plans involved you.

She gave Odin a warm smile. "Before you go planning your son's life for the next nine months while he and his wife are remaining in Asgard, I need to examine his wife and child. And your son should be there for that," Frigga told her husband. Her tone, as always, was gentle, but her meaning was clear. She was taking you to the healing wing with her and Loki was coming too. Whether Odin liked it or not. So it was best if he just agreed.

He seemed to understand that as well and nodded. He kissed Frigga on the cheek. "As you wish," he told her warmly, with a gentleness and caring that was strange and never seen by anyone. It was even strange for Thor and Loki to see their father so gentle, though Frigga didn't seem surprised. She just tilted her head as he leaned in to kiss her. "Do send my son to me when you are finished with him. There are things we and Thor must discuss," he bid his wife.

"I will, husband," she replied warmly and linked her other arm with Loki's so the three of you could head to the healing wing. You weren't getting out of her examination.

You'd expected no less, of course, especially since Loki had wanted to drag you to her the second you'd arrived in Asgard. Now Loki was getting his wish and his mother was the one dragging you to the healing wing to be examined, so he didn't have to be the bad guy. You didn't mind being in the healing wing when you were healing other. Being in there because you needed healing wasn't something you at all enjoyed. No one did, but healers were worse about it that any others.

And despite all of your other skills, you were a healer first and foremost, by inclination and by magic.

"I'm so happy for you, my darlings," Frigga told you both as you walked. You knew she was speaking to you both, but her eyes were for her favorite son. You didn't blame her for it, or fault Loki the attention and praise. His adored his mother more than anyone else in the nine realms, besides you of course.

"Thank you, mother," Loki told her warmly and pressed a kiss to her temple. He was a lot more openly affectionate now than he had been when you met him all those years ago. "Though I am surprised you are not disappointed we did not wait longer..." it was rare for young couples to have children so soon after being married. It usually took centuries.

Frigga gave him a look. "Children are never something to be disappointed in. Just because it usually takes couples longer to conceive than it to you and your wife doesn't mean I am in any way disappointed. Nor should you be. Children are a gift," she told her son firmly.

He chuckled. "Yes, Mother," he agreed obediently. He was happy for the news, you knew that perfectly well. He was still concerned what his family would think. He was afraid they would think you were rushing into things. It wasn't like you'd been trying but you hadn't done anything to prevent it either. You were open to the idea of children. You just hadn't thought it would happen so quickly.

You made your way to the healing wing with Frigga, while she caught you and Loki up on court politics and the goings on of the realms since the last time you'd been to Asgard. Things were going pretty peacefully right now, so it was mostly stories about Fandral failing at romancing court ladies. Which were typical. Except he'd apparently flirted with one of Sif's proteges and since she cared for women instead of men and it was well known among the court, she took offense at the insistent flirting and beat him up. During dinner one evening. Fandral had scarcely come out of hiding since.

When you got to the healing wing, Frigga led you to one of the private rooms to scan you with the soul-forge scanner. You laid on the bed while she did. She wanted to thoroughly check you and the baby for any sign of issues. She would also be the one confirming the pregnancy. In Asgard, it wasn't deemed official until it was confirmed by a healer.

You and Loki both waited nervously while she performed her exam. You could read the soul-forge just as well as she could, but it was a lot more difficult when you were lying on the bed.

Healers really weren't good patients.

"I have some excellent news for you my darlings-" Frigga started.

"The child? It's well?" Loki demanded, his nerves evident in his tone. He was overprotective and there was nothing he could do to help if there was something wrong with the babe. You knew it ate at him.

Frigga smiled at him warmly. "Your wife is indeed pregnant," she confirmed as was her duty. She grinned when she added. "Your children are well. Perfectly healthy,"

You and Loki both stared at her in shock and awe.

"Children?" Loki finally asked.

Frigga nodded. "Twins," she confirmed.

Twins.

You were having twins.