Chapter 8

Loki pressed a kiss to the top of your head, pulling you into his arms. He had sensed your panic and anxiety and was stopping it before it got worse. "Darling, we will face this together, just like everything else. Everything will be alright. You and the children will be under close supervision from the best healer in the nine realms," he reassured you. "Everything will be alright," he promised. It was all he could do. You relaxed in his arms. He was right. You and the children were in the best care, in the best hands.

And the realm would rally around their princess to keep you safe. To help you in any way you could.

"Don't forget that your father wishes to see you, darling," Frigga told Loki when you were calm again.

Loki nodded, acknowledging her words. He turned to you, pulling back enough that you could look up into his green eyes. "You should get some rest, love. You didn't sleep much last night," he told you, giving you an excuse to avoid meeting with Odin.

You smiled innocently up at him. You knew what he was doing and you could play that game too. "I can go lie down after we see what your father wants," you told him warmly. He sighed, knowing that he wasn't going to convince you without upsetting you. Just because you were pregnant and without your powers didn't mean you were helpless, especially not this early in the pregnancy.

"Very well. Then you are lying down, love," he told you. He tried to sound firm. He really tried. His tone came out lovingly exasperated. As usual. He always had trouble being firm with you unless you were being particularly stubborn. Self detrimentally stubborn.

You smiled and kissed his cheek. "Of course I will," you told him and actually intended to do so. As long as nothing terrible happened in the meantime.

That always tended to be the problem with you getting any rest.

Some emergency always came up.

You both stood from the bed and hugged Mama Frigga to thank her for her help. You placed your hand automatically on Loki's arm to let him lead you to Odin's meeting room. You were meeting in a small venue than the throne room to discuss matters of the crown away from the prying eyes and ears of the court.

You'd spent quite a lot of time in that meeting room since Loki had begun being groomed to be named heir. Loki insisted that you have equal power to him, equal say in the matters of the realm. He didn't want to continue the practice of all the previous kings of Asgard of being the sole ruler of being above his wife. So he insisted you had equal power. And the court seemed to accept it on the days you ruled together. And even on the one you had ruled on your own. They were glad that you were there to take over Loki's duties when he'd been ill. The people accepted the gentle healer on the throne, especially when the gentle healer was perfectly capable of defending herself as well as them.

You'd changed a lot from the timid, shy, healer Thor had rescued all those years ago.

So you and Loki made your way to Odin's meeting room where he and Thor were waiting for you. Sif hadn't fought to be included in these kind of meetings. She was happy in her role and knew that Loki was being groomed to be heir. Even if he didn't yet.

Odin looked up from his conversation with Thor. "Well?" he asked and you could swear you saw hope in his eye. He wanted good news. He wanted grandchildren. You could see it in his eye.

You nodded as you and Loki took your seats at the meeting room's table. "The Allmother confirmed the pregnancy," you told him formally. You were extra careful around Odin, extra formal, extra polite. He still could smite you where you stood if he disagreed with you and that wasn't something you wanted to risk. Besides, Loki couldn't handle the loss and his relationship with Odin was still being repaired after Odin's awful parenting and everything Loki had been through before he'd stumbled into your life. Including losing you before you'd even been born. It had taken him nearly eighteen years to find you again and he wasn't risking losing you again. Ever. "We are having twins," you added. Loki inclined his head in agreement, verifying your words.

Odin actually lit up. He was just like any other parent with the news that he was getting grandchildren. "That is excellent news indeed!" he told you both warmly. You saw Loki's cheeks tiny with a hint of purple, pleased to make his father proud for once. "You will be remaining in Asgard for the duration of the pregnancy?" he asked Loki, though it was a formality; he knew the answer already.

You and Loki both nodded your agreement. "Yes, Father, we will be staying on Asgard," Loki replied. He'd made an effort to start calling Odin 'father' again after they both began working to rebuild their relationship.

Odin nodded his agreement. "Wise decision, as all of your decisions have been these last few years," he looked between Loki and Thor. "I know I have not always done right by you boys. I did what I thought was best at the time, what I thought was best for the realm. It is time for decisions to be made, though, for the future of the realm," Odin paused while boy of his sons waited with baited breath, wondering what he was up to.

"It is time I name a proper heir," Odin finally said.