four-

Evangeline Hargreeves had recently turned 17 years old, but her birthday was not worth celebrating. Of course Luther was there, but aside from that, the only sibling who showed up was Klaus. Even then, her favourite sibling was soon shown the door as he sparked up a joint in the lounge, his father becoming furious.

Evangeline and Luther were the remaining 2 'progedies' that her father had adopted all those years ago, and Evangeline couldn't help but be grateful that she still had one older brother with her, even though she couldn't shake the fear that he would one day leave her too.

It was inevitable that all of her siblings would leave - she knew that. They were all 24 at this point, but the fact that they couldn't even stay in touch hurt Evangeline.

"Miss Evangeline - a word?" Pogo's face peered around her bedroom door, his kind eyes drawing the girl away from her book.

"Oh, hello Pogo," she smiled, folding the corner of her page before putting it down on her bed and standing to speak with the ... monkey man.  "Is everything alright?"

"Yes, quite. I have a message to relay from your father,"

Evangeline didn't know why her father couldn't just tell her himself, but she didn't expect anything less from him as much as she loved him. She listened intently anyway, not saying a word.

"Tonight you are to go on one last mission with Master Luther before he is sent on his... research trip," Pogo seemed to hesitate before mentioning Luther's next mission. "Your father expects it to be dangerous so be prepared,"

Evangeline gave a tight lipped smile, nodding lightly. "Got it. Thanks, Pogo,"

"Very good," Pogo bowed his head before turning and leaving.

What could her father be planning now that was so dangerous?

Later that day, Evangeline got changed in to clothing more suitable for a potential fight, tying her hair with a scrunchie before taking her mask in her hands. Her crystalline eyes peered down at the mask that had been such a huge part of her life for the past 17 years. What would her life be like if she hadn't been adopted? Did her mother miss her? She vowed to herself that she would find out one day.

Evangeline hopped down the stairs, strolling into the lounge to meet with Luther and get a briefing from their father. Upon entering, she glanced at the painting that took pride of place in the room.

"Where are you, Five? Your little sister misses you," The girl cringed as she spoke to thin air, her eyes fixated on those of her missing brother.

"Eve? You okay?" Luther asked, seeing the downcast look on her face as he entered the room. He watched as her expression glazed over to be replaced by a big grin.

"Never better," she said with a light laugh, clearing her throat and toying with her mask in her hands. "Do you know what we're up to tonight?"

"Dad said something about dangerous chemicals?" Luther shrugged, putting his own mask on. "Nothing too difficult, I'd say,"

"Yeah," Evangeline hummed, following her brother's actions.

But the night was difficult. It was difficult and it was dangerous, just like their father had warned.

Luther was left in a critical condition, that is already known. However, Evangeline was also left battered, except her father didn't know that. Nobody did apart from the men who left her in the dumpster.