Things have changed

Dead. They're all dead. No hurt. Maybe she still have a chance to save her friends. Little did she know fate had already decided what they wanted, her friends would die, its what shapes her story, unknowing that of one lives, it'll be her hand that kills them.
She knew what she was doing once they died. She was going to leave. Not just academy but the entirety of the dreamworld. He can't keep his daughter when he was the one who killed her friend!
A bright light flashed. This was it. Ryan couldn't do anything to stop it. Until...

She opened her eyes and what she saw wasn't her friends dead, lifeless, cold bodies but the scared bodies of her living friends behind a figure in a cloak.(someone she would've met late in life if her friend had died)

Her life would be completely different. She would stay at the academy and train into one of the best students. Except she didn't meet some of the most important parts, sides of people or people in general that would shape her to who she would have been today.

If her friends had died, she would've of met Wendy, who was a great friend of her in said timeline, also Alex,. She wouldve of left the academy to come back years later with Wendy and end up dating Ryan's best friend.

Maybe her friends dying was the best choice.....
Or maybe you just don't see the full story