how did i fall in love with you ✧ nick

takes place: currently
listen to : how did i fall in love with you by backstreet boys.

summary : y/n and nick have been friends ever since they could remember, but they've never had feelings for each other. well, things change when they grow up. when nick has a girl friend who's not y/n, y/n starts to realize her feelings for him.

"i hear your voice, and i start to tremble. brings back the child that i resemble."

i stare at nick and his new girlfriend, lucy.
i don't think she will ever realize how lucky she is to have someone as amazing as nick.
lucy wasn't my favorite person in the world. she was a huge drama queen.
i was 90% she was just dating nick for the fame attention, but i didn't want to tell nick because that would break his heart.
we sat there at dinner, and it was the most awkward thing ever.
i had known nick since we were in diapers, and a girl like lucy wasn't what he needed.
currently we were on a double date.
nick decided to set me up with his friend aj.
don't get me wrong, aj was sweet, but he wasn't the one for me.
lucy leaned into kiss nick, so i decided to start a conversation with aj.
"so, how's life?" i chuckle.
"it's very interesting. you see currently, i'm on a double date, and the couple sitting across from me can't stop sucking each other's faces off."
i giggle, that was very true.
i look over at nick and he's glaring at us.
that's really strange, maybe he was just mad that we were interrupting their make out session.
"i agree."
"hey listen, there's no hard feelings here." aj says.
i furrow my eyebrows in confusion.
aj whispers into my ear.
"i can tell by the way you look at him, your so in love with him. but that's ok, go get him. i've known lucy for a year now, she's a total bitch."
i laugh, nodding my head.
"and i know for a fact nick loves you a lot more than he loves her, you should hear the way he talks about you."
"how so?" i ask.
"like you're the best thing that's ever happened to him. do me a favor and wait for him, i want to see nick happy."
aj's words made me smile, i couldn't help the grin breaking out on my face.
"thank you aj. it really means a lot."
"no problem." he smiles.
"i think i'm gonna leave soon. not feeling too well." i fake a smile at nick and lucy.
lucy smiles, "what a shame."
i roll my eyes and look at nick.
"what, why y/n? we were having so much fun. don't leave, please."
"more like you two were." i mumble quietly.
"sorry nick, i just need to go home and rest."
he nods his head and frowns, saying "i'll walk you out."
"there's no need, stay here, i'll be fine." i shoot him another fake smile.
"no come on, let's go." he takes his napkin off his lap and stands up.
"babe, where are you going?" lucy asks.
"i'll be right back." he mumbles.
as soon as we exit the room we were seated in, nick grabs my hand.
i sigh. he can't be doing thinks like that; he's playing games with my heart again.
i look down at the ground.
"are you gonna tell me what's really wrong, y/n?"
"i'm fine." i shiver a bit, we were outside now and it was cold.
"you're cold, c'mere." nick wraps me in an embrace, and this was my favorite feeling in the world.
he plants a light kiss on my forehead, but i pull back.
"no, you can't be doing things like that, you have a girlfriend in there." i state.
he furrows his eyebrows. "but you're my best friend."
the friend zone. pretty much where i've been stuck my whole life.
"but that's exactly it. i'm your best friend, nothing else. she's your girl friend."
"y/n, you'll always come before anyone else." he states.
i lightly smile.
there's an awkward silence for a while, and my anxiety's kicking in. i feel the need to tell him how deeply in love i am with him, but there's way too many problems with that. i can't ruin our friendship, and he has a girlfriend waiting inside for him.
"damn." i mumble.
"what?" nick asks.
"do you want to know the truth? i'm so in deeply in love with you. how the hell did this happen? i don't know nick, i really don't. you're too blind to see it, because she's who you love. and that's fine, i've understood that you will never be mine. i know you don't have feelings for me, and it's o-"
my rambling is cut off by the best feeling i've ever felt in my life.
nicks lips are on mine. holy shit, i've been dreaming about this for so long.
his lips are so soft, and the kiss is the most amazing one i've ever had.
he smiles into it, and pulls away, resting his forehead on mine.
i smile, and he goes back in for another peck.
"you don't even know how long i've wanted that to happen for. y/f/n, you make the happiest person alive."

nick carter had the same feelings for me, my own best friend loved me back, and not in a friendly way.

-em ♡

-em