Chapter Twelve

Jason's POV

     Shortly after Percy had fallen asleep I took the both of us to his cabin and curled up with him on his bed, making sure to not hold him too tight or place myself too close to him. As much as it felt wrong and hurt me to distance myself from him physically, I knew it would make him feel better.

     I really felt concerned for him. PTSD induced delusions? That, obviously, was never a good thing. While it did hurt a little that Percy would believe such a thing was real, it was understandable. I had to keep reminding myself that he had just gotten out of a traumatic relationship, which would place a heavy impact on this one. His relationship with me. Having a relationship with Percy definitely wasn't the easiest thing in the world, but it was definitely worth it for every bump in the road.

     Nico was another character I was concerned about, but he had vanished as soon as Percy had fallen asleep, so I didn't have time to talk to him about... Well, him. He hasn't talked to me much, if at all, about himself since before the whole Annabeth and Percy situation, and his growing taste for distancing himself from others was getting far too concerning. Whenever he distanced himself, it wasn't good. It often meant that he was going through another depression spell.

     Percy typically dealt with Nico whenever that happened, but I don't think Peecy was in any position to be capable of helping anyone right now. He was struggling to keep his own head above water; I don't know how he'd support others alongside him. After deciding that Percy was out cold, I got up and started to head out of the cabin to find Nico.

     It didn't take long, as the first place I looked was the Hades cabin, where he just so happened to be. He was holding a piece of wood and a pocket knife when I walked in, and he looked over at me with a confused expression.

     "Jason? What are you doing here?"

     I shrugged and stepped in, shutting the door behind me. "Wanted to visit." His eyes immediately narrowed.

     "You're not telling the truth. Why are you here?"

     I sighed. The kid was too good at reading people. "You seem upset lately."

     "Who isn't, with Percy in this condition?" Nico asked bitterly, turning his attention down to the wood and his knife, with a fluid motion taking off a sliver of wood from the oddly shaped piece of drift wood.

     "That's fair, but..." I sighed. "Nico, you're dealing with a break up, Percy is in a bad condition-"

     "I'm not anymore."

     I stared at him blankly for a moment. "Pardon?"

     "Will and I- We got back together." (You guys were so upset with me for making them break up I got them together again. You're welcome.)

     I gaped at him. "When?!"

     "Today. After Percy fell asleep I went to talk to Will. We agreed that it was a dumb breakup and we were both just in a bad spot in life and decided to take it out on each other."

     Nico hadn't made eye contact with me, and was still carving out pieces of wood with articulately planned cuts with the knife. "Oh, well, I'm happy for you guys."

     "Thanks."

     An awkward silence followed. Despite his ability to read people, he definitely wasn't the best at communication. Unless he just didn't want to continue talking to me and knew how to get me to leave? Awkwardness was a weak point of mine. Maybe he knew how to dig at it.

     "So how are you feeling? Honestly."

     "Good."

     "Are you sure about that?"

     Nico finally looked up at me, his eyes narrowing slightly. "I don't know why you're interrogating me, but I'm not a fan."

     "I'm just trying to help."

     "I'd literally do anything to get out of this conversation," Nico sighed miserably. "No offense, but we aren't compatible in conversation. I appreciate your efforts, I really do, but I can't really talk to anyone except Percy and Will."

     "Please, Nico," I pleaded desperately. "I want to help."

     Nico narrowed his eyes at me further, tossing his piece of wood onto the bed he was currently sitting on before he slowly trailed the blade of his knife across the pad of his thumb, drawing a couple drops of blood that trailed down his thumb and wrist. I didn't have any time to say anything about it before he started to talk again. "Oh would you look at that. Nicked my thumb while whittling. Looks like I better go to the infirmary," Nico said in the most nonchalant voice I've ever heard as he stood, folding his pocket knife and putting it in his back pocket, putting his bloodied thumb in his mouth. "Ta-ta Jason, good luck with the whole helping thing," he said, thumb stored in his cheek as he smiled innocently, slipping past me and through the door.

     I sighed miserably. I guess he really did mean he'd do anything to get out of the conversation. At least by infirmary he meant Will, that much was obvious, though I figured Will would scold him for the whole intentional thumb-cutting thing. Maybe Nico would lie about it?

     After another sigh I left the gloomy cabin, heading back to the home-like comfort of the Poseidon cabin. I never did have the comforting quality, I knew that, but I was hoping Nico would at least talk to me a little. At least Percy found me comforting. For the most part, at least.

     I stepped into the Poseidon cabin, shutting the door behind me, walking over to Percy's bed, where Percy was still sleeping soundly. I couldn't help the smile that etched on my face as I crawled into bed with him, making sure to keep my comfortable distance while staying close enough to reassure him if needed.

     Gently kissing his cheek before laying back down, I curled up to him best I could and closed my eyes, promptly falling asleep beside Percy.