REsigNation

My heart was weighing heavily the whole morning. My mind was rewinding a moment that I have witnessed unconsciously.

It was only yesterday where I was still resting in the ward. I was having a nap but woke up to the sound of voices.

At first, I wanted to open my eyes and wake up there and then. However, I decided against it after recognizing the identity of the voices.

"Doctor, how is she?" Esme spoke up first.

"Everything's normal. Her vitals are alright and the MRI scan showed not trauma to the head. I asked her to demonstrate her powers yesterday and managed to take more samples of it like you requested."

"Good." Reeva sounded pleased with the answer.

I could hear the door opening and closing after. I wondered if they have left as I was about to open my eyes but the voices that spoke kept my guard up once more.

"Do you think she is really okay?" I headed Esme's voice first.

"She has to be.Our realization of a mutant homeland cannot be done without her, especially in the post plans after acquiring control."

Reeva answered before she continued. "How did the research go?"

"There were positive findings. The scientists in think they can use Ren's energy flames to make a potential force field. Her orange flames have the ability to absorb powers while her blue flames have the ability to tranquilize. It's the perfect combination for force field barrier that surrounds the homeland." Esme reported back to Reeva's question.

"The extensive digging on her great grandfather's experimentation research has not gone to waste, I see." Reeva was pleased with herself.

"No wonder her great grandfather got experimented so long ago, their family's powers have the potential to be greatly expendable that the humans wanted to weaponize and use it to protect themselves." Sophie's voice spoke.

"Luckily, it didn't work out." Phoebe interjected in the conversation.

"Do you think it's right that we are doing this without her knowing? After all, she is at the centre of this." Esme cut into the conversation.

"Esme, you need to think of the bigger picture. Imagine it, the possibility of our mutant homeland to be protected from outside forces is a big deal. She will be more than happy to contribute when she realizes what her powers could mean for the whole mutant community." Phoebe dismissed Esme's worry.

"We will cross that bridge when we come to it. I am sure I can convince her, after all she prides herself on being able to contribute to the mutant community." Reeva spoke almost conceitedly.

Their conversation came to an end with the following sounds of their heels exiting the room.

So this is why they wanted me all along. I was not more than an energy source for them to tap on. Yes, I wanted to help the mutant community but I knew Reeva's plans will be at the expense of my own life.

My flames are sourced from my own life force. If I were to be exploited as such, it could come at the cost of my own life. How much energy power will they take from me to sustain a force field for an entire nation?

The tears started falling from face and stained my pillowcase. In their eyes, I was nothing more than a tool in their grand plans.
________________________________

The next morning, there was a notice about a meeting after breakfast. All of the mutant members were seated in the main hall under Reeva's instruction.

I am now going into this meeting with a cautious and alert mind. After the revelation in my ward room, everything had changed for me. I knew which side I really wanted to stand on but I knew I had to keep up a pretense.