" There are darknesses in life and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights

and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights."

Bram Stoker. Dracula. 1897.

-

Early 1900s.
The rainy, compacted yellowing-green part of the midwest.

You were travelling. Gone, to keep it short. Where to?

Despite being unorthodox to any of your parent's choices, you chose a place where the closest sign of civilization is a station 6 miles out.

About this time, it was very common for younger people to experiment with becoming one with farmers or busy-men for an internship. You just had to hope the place you were setting off too wasn't all smoke and mirrors.

You're pretty sure the duplex you found is only a few blocks from an industrialized farm. If they don't hire you... well, you'll have to look elsewhere very quickly.
Not that you're complaining, though; Cheaper, more reliable produce is a possiblity, if nothing else.

In addition, there's ads of horses and other pack animals - And that's practically all you feel you'll need for the while. You let the thought of purchasing a bike or even a scooter in the future to simmer in your brain for a few minutes, anticipating the bus to stop in front of your long awaited desitination.

The clunky vehicle - A very 'new-modeled' hybrid carriage - lurched forward and its animals blew off annoyed spittle as they halted. Upon a quick look through the curtains, you realized this was the place. Er, the dirt trail down leading towards it.

You and some other body's home, until one of you saved up enough to buy an actual house - Then, you'll never have to talk or share with someone again

Siblings and family members had ruined the thought of company for you for 19 solid years, and you had hope for a silent, lonely future on.

Slinging a backpack on and lugging a black suitcase behind, you took a moment to dust off your coat and rush to the front of the carriage. The driver anticipated money, which you happily obliged and slipped the horse a mineral cube for old times sakes. You alotted a few seconds to gather yourself mentally.