Chapter 13

Arthit's POV

I have no idea how long I stood there looking awestruck at the sleeping man before me. My heart was racing with a multitude of questions about seeing him in front of my doorstep.

What was he doing here? Was he waiting for me? If yes, how long was he waiting? Why the hell is he waiting for me for so long that he got tired enough to fall asleep on the floor?

I couldn't silence my heart starting to bubble with excitement on seeing a piece of it slouched down on the floor, breathing evenly. But the alter-ego in me couldn't stay quiet even for a while to let my heart have its moment. It started bringing up questions like why is he here after all these years of not even attempting to reach out to me? Even now it had been nearly a month after we had met each other. Where was he all these days? Did he think that I would forget everything in the past and run back to his arms now just because he pulls off a scene like this?

The heart spoke that I was the one who screamed in his face to leave me the hell alone at the gym when he tried to talk to me. Also, I was the one who literally threw him out of the house when he came to my apartment last time.

'So what? That doesn't mean a person who truly wants to reconcile would stop trying' another voice whispered in my mind.

'Oh! So you do want to reconcile?' the former piped up.

'No. I fucking don't. Why is that so hard to believe for everyone?', I mentally screamed at myself letting my frustration get the better of me.

I don't know how long I stood there listening to the debate going on between my heart and my brain internally. Suddenly my phone rang, the shrill ringtone echoing off the walls of the empty hallway. I picked it up quickly and put the phone to my ears. It was Sarah on the other side. I was a little bit relieved to know that she was still alive and breathing. But her voice said that she wasn't as alive as before.

"Hey, stranger. Are you not dead yet?" I started hoping to start the conversation with a mellow mood.

"Still alive and kicking. Don't worry. I am not going to kill myself so soon. No matter how tempting it is to become a ghost and haunt your asses" she finished with a tired yawn. Even though she was trying to prove to me that she was alright with her witty comebacks, I can sense from her voice that she hasn't completely recovered from yesterday's episode. I didn't want to pry further or bring attention to the fact that she sounded more like a zombie with fatigue evident in her voice. I didn't want to start this conversation now, especially not over the phone.

"You want me to drop by with some food?" I asked although I had already planned to do so knowing that she wouldn't have eaten anything the whole day. As soon as those words came out of my mouth, my eyes flitted towards the sleeping man before me. I should deal with this first before I can check up on Sarah.

"Honey waffles, cheese fries topped with strawberry jam and spicy chicken wings. Oh, get me a tall chocolate milkshake" she listed out her order. If she was before me now she could have seen the comical look on my face on hearing her weird order.

"Cheese fries topped with strawberry jam? Seriously? Are you sure you haven't hit your head somewhere?" I asked taking the risk of talking back even though I knew I was going to be insulted right away.

"Yeah. I am not losing my sanity, my friend. I am heartbroken. Just like you" she retorted without missing a beat.

'What the hell does she mean by just like me? With all the things going on in my life, I am most definitely not in a position to be heartbroken over any men. Yeah, I said any men because I don't even know which of the men in my life that Sarah was referring to. I have to sort through many shits and I have no time for any lovesick drama like a teenager for God's sake' I thought as my eyes again shifted to Kong when he shifted in his sleep.