2.

Before another long afternoon of classes, Kihyun begins walking towards the coffee shop for his morning shift. Most of his friends despise traveling by foot to work, especially so early in the morning, but luckily it's not very far from Kihyun's apartment. He doesn't mind it much.

As he strolls down the sidewalk, he can't help but think about Changkyun, the customer that showed up last night. Will he come back today?

Kihyun enters the building, thoughts of customers vanishing for a moment as the aroma of coffee beans (and also something smelling of vanilla) splashes over his senses. It's refreshing to bask in the peacefulness that is a quiet and empty shop; the only sound is a slight hum coming from a few machines.

After taking a moment for himself, Kihyun decides to get moving.

It's simple tasks such as these that he knows like the back of his hand: come in, put on his apron, wash up, and get behind the counter to start completing tasks. Today is not a busy day for the shop. Normally only regulars drift in on this day of the week, so Kihyun figures that it should be an easy shift.

Kihyun does exactly what he knows he's supposed to do when coming in, and after verifying that there are no customers awaiting assistance (in fact, there are no customers yet at all), he heads towards the back and into the kitchen.

Kihyun expects to find Minhyuk already hard at work, cutting brownies in the shape of hearts, or even glazing donuts with a sweet coating. He finds the kitchen empty though, and a mild bubble of panic begins to form in his stomach.

Minhyuk never misses his shifts, not without telling Kihyun beforehand so that he has time to prepare for working by himself.

Kihyun crosses to the wall where they store their belongings. He places his bag inside his cubby hole (yes, they use cubbies don't judge) and then glances into Minhyuk's.

His cubby is empty- all except for a note folded and propped up, displayed so Kihyun would find it.

Kihyun-

Sorry I'm not here :(

I forgot that my exam is today and my professor said if I don't show, he'll fail me

But I know you can handle it :) It's not a busy day so you'll probably only have a few regulars. I came in early this morning and restocked all the pastries so you wouldn't have to

Be back later

Good luck :D

-Min

Kihyun sighs upon reading the note. Although he's stressed that Minhyuk isn't here, Kihyun is glad that his friend came in early to restock the pastries that sell out the quickest. He's also kind of shocked that Minhyuk is even bothering with taking the test. If he hasn't studied, his grade may not even be a passing one.

Kihyun forces himself to focus less on Minhyuk's academic issues and more on current tasks at hand. He has never worked a shift alone like this... what if something goes wrong?

He shakes the thoughts away, reminding himself that he is, in fact, Yoo Kihyun, and he's practically prepared for anything.

He prepares the shop for customers, setting up the tables and making sure that everything is in it's proper place. He even organizes the colored packets of sweeteners when he runs out of things to do. Since Minhyuk already came in and stocked earlier, there's not a whole lot left to do without business.

It's about twenty minutes later when Kihyun hears the bell on the front door chime for the first time. He straightens up behind the counter, positioning himself to take an order. He doesn't realize that he's looking for Changkyun to be the one entering until his face falls at the entrance of a different customer. He fixes his expression as quickly as he can.