Embers, Kindling And Chaos

If you told me that I'll stop loving you one day, probably, I would have laughed at you. But today, the universe mocks me. I never understood how potent time could be, and how distance isn't measured only with miles. Even though I knew dripping water can erode rocks given time. Even if I was reluctant to believe how people who were so close, could become so far part. As they say: the older you grow, the wiser. But what they do not say, is that the journey to become wiser is fraught with pain.
The truth why unrequited love does not last is that while embers can start a fire, it takes more than just embers to keep a fire burning. And I am wont to admit that I've run out of kindling. It is a consumable commodity, and time... Time flies and memories fade. You become more and more unsure if the emotions you felt were as intense as they seem to be or was it all just a mirage. Time moulds the past into dreams.
It bereaves me to have lost this love, because trust me, I have lost a huge chunk of myself with it. My love for a long time defined who I was; on the other hand, coping with its loss and rediscovering myself will define who I will be.
I've finally let go and it is perhaps one of the most difficult decisions I've ever made. However, entropy moves only in one direction— towards chaos. So, I'm more bereft than I bargained to be. Within me, there is more chaos than there was at the beginning.
The older I grow, the farther I see, and the more I doubt this path I have woven. I ask myself, do choices sculpt who you are or do you make the choices? Is it choices that really matter, or the cascade of events that follow each one? How much of your life is actually under your control? There are more questions than there are answers.