Chapter 4: Reflection

Hyejin stirred, her head lifting slightly, but stopping when a sharp pain shot through her head, causing her to whimper. Her eyes fluttered open, only to come face-to-face with the same darkness she saw when her eyes were closed. She moved, wincing as the rope that bound her to the chair she sat on cut deep into her skin. Tears filled her eyes, threatening to spill over.

There was a sudden shuffle in the room. She couldn't tell exactly where it came from, but it sounded like it came from behind her. She froze at the sound of a deep voice, "Ms. Young, you're awake." She drew into herself, suddenly aware of San's omnipresence in the room, fearing that he could be right there in front of her and she couldn't even see him. The tears that formed earlier began streaming down her face uncontrollably. She clenched her teeth tightly and squeezed her eyes shut.

"You've been sleeping for a while." He shifted close to her, laying a delicate hand on her shoulder from behind. She flinched, crying out in pain as the rope buried itself deeper into her flesh. "Please, let me go," she cried in between sobs. He sighed and stood up straight, looking down at her. "Hyejin, I just got you. You know how long I waited for this?"

"What?" she asked, her voice sounding raspy and strained. He laughed softly and she could feel his intense gaze on her even though she couldn't see him. There was the sound of a small chain being pulled above her and light exploded in the room. She could now see that she was in what looked like a small cellar or basement. She turned her head in multiple directions, finding that there were no windows at all and a single metal door to her left. She was in the middle of the room, her legs tied loosely to the legs of the chair and her hands tied behind her back around the chair.

San came from behind her and planted his feet on the ground a couple of feet in front of Hyejin. He crossed his arms over his chest and gazed at her with an almost loving and admirable expression. A soft smile appeared on his lips and his head was tilted slightly. His eyes meeting hers made her wince and shrink back.

He took a step forward and put a finger under her chin, raising her head up. His eyes wandered over her face, reading her, studying her. He brushed a strand of loose hair behind her ear. His fingertips touching her made her flinch harshly, causing the ropes into her arms to dig in more. San dragged his fingertip down her nose to her lips, where he traced her lip with his finger. He was smiling, his big eyes unblinking, his face just inches from hers.

"Please," she whimpered. He pouted and sighed, standing up straight with his hands placed firmly on his hips. His silence frightened her even more. "Even like this, your beauty is just..." he paused, searching for the right word, "ethereal."

"Why?" her voice came out as a whisper and tears flooded her vision. He gave her a sympathetic look as he crouched down in front of her, never removing his eyes from hers.

"Why? Why what," he asked, sounding genuinely confused. He stood up, looking down at her wrists that were bloodied and cut up. He reached down, undoing the tight knot. There was a rush of relief on her arms as the pain dissipated. She pulled her arms in towards herself and looked up at him.

"Sorry that was so tight," He took a step back. Anger filled Hyejin and she had to resist the urge to attack him. She wasn't sure what would happen if she did so she stayed quiet, staring at him. "I'll be back," he said. He slipped out of the room too quickly for her to react. The metal door shut with a loud thud and there was the quick rattle of a lock. Stunned, she stood up and looked around. Behind her was the same emptiness that was in front of her. Her legs felt weak and shaky like she would collapse so she steadied herself on the chair.

He returned with a bundle of clothes in his arms. Hyejin backed up behind the chair, trying to create some distance between her and her kidnapper. He extended his arm out to her, holding the clothes and smiling sweetly. "Here, a change of clothes. I won't watch you change." When Hyejin didn't grab the clothes, he set them on the chair and left the room, winking once as he closed and locked the door behind him. Hyejin remained where she was, glancing down at what she now realized was her clothes. It was her favorite red and black striped form-fitting shirt and a pair of black skinny jeans. There was also a pair of clean black socks, a bra, and underwear. Sticking out from under the shirt, she saw a lavender-colored brush and a white hair tie wrapped around the handle. The thought of him going through her drawers and touching her clothes made her shiver.