Chapter 5: Memories

Hyejin's eyes flew open, tearing herself from the horrible nightmare she struggled to free herself from. She panted heavily and sweat formed at her brow and her underarms. Her hands were tied together on her lap and her ankles were bound tightly to the chair. 

The light was on and she noticed a table on the other side of the room that wasn't there before with which two books and a stack of white paper sat. Aside from that, however, from what she could see, that was the only new addition to her prison cell. The light in the room was a bit brighter than before, or that's how it seemed considering she had just been enclosed in darkness for several hours.

There was a light knock at the door and San stepped in, carrying a water bottle and a plate of food. He walked it over to the table and set it down carefully, almost as if he were trying not to disturb the quiet. He turned back and found Hyejin staring at him with eyes filled with fear. He smiled. "I didn't know you had woken up yet. I brought you some food. You hadn't eaten anything since you got here."

Since you got here. He said it as though she had come by choice. She hid the anger that bubbled up and instead looked down at her feet. He came over and untied them, tossing the rope by the door. Untying her hands, he backed away and watched her. At first, she didn't move, frozen in fear that any wrong move would be her last. 

"It's okay. I forgive you for yesterday. And I am sorry. It was a very rude thing to do. I hope I did not hurt you." She replayed the events through her mind over and over again, seeing the light of the door that could have been her escape. "Please, eat something," he said, motioning her to the table. Physically, she could not make herself move. 

San walked up to Hyejin, gently grabbing her hand in his. Immediately, she pulled it back and stepped away. He pouted at her and put his hand to the small of her back, leading her forward to the table. Reluctantly, she moved.

When she reached the table, he went back and pulled the chair up to her, making a horrible scratching noise as the wooden legs scraped against the cold grey concrete floor. She flinched at the sound, pressing her back up to the wall and pulling her arms in close to her. She stared at him, watching. Waiting. 

"Hyejin. I am not going to hurt you." Tears welled up in her eyes and her nose burned.

"Please let me go," she said, her voice cracking. He frowned at her.

"Hyejin. I cannot do that." Tears fell, forming a tiny puddle by her foot.

"Why? Why do you want me?" She asked. He crossed his arms over his chest. He seemed to be getting annoyed. 

"I have told you this already."

"Why don't you just kill me already?"

"Because...I don't want to kill you. All the time I had spent looking for you would be a waste if I killed you." She pulled her arms closer to herself.

"What are you talking about?" He shifted his weight on his right foot.

"Cheol-Su Middle School." Hyejin froze. 

He studied her face as she heard the name. That was the middle school she attended over ten years ago. "What?" Her voice wavered. The corners of his lips rose into a small smile.

"Mr. Kwon, room 14-2." Her hands flew up and covered her mouth. Choi San. No. It can't be.

A tall, slender boy walked into the room guided by the teacher, avoiding eye contact with the rest of the class. Hyejin stared at him curiously as he introduced himself.

"I'm Choi San from Daegu."  His voice was soft and sweet. He stood awkwardly in the front of the class, unsure what to do next. Mr. Kwon led him to an empty desk behind Hyejin, saying comforting words and telling him that he was happy to have a new addition to the class. He seemed nervous and scared, but Hyejin didn't do anything. Instead, she stared at the front of the class, pretending like he didn't exist. 

For the rest of the year, she nearly forgot about his existence. He had quickly befriended a group of boys who were also transfer students and spent most of his time with them. They came and went, never speaking to each other, however, several of Hyejin's friends mentioned his fondness for her. Of course, she ignored it and dismissed it as simple rumors. She had no interest in him, nor anyone else in the school, although, he was quite handsome. All she cared about was her friends, family, and school work. 

He quickly became one of the more popular students and also proved to be extremely advanced academically and athletically, although, Hyejin paid him no mind. 

"Yo- You..." her voice trailed off, staring into the eyes of her kidnapper and former classmate. He smiled warmly, putting his hands behind his back.

"You remember me." He said.

"What do you want with me?" Hyejin asked, clenching her jaw.

"What do I want? What do you think I want? I want you. You completely ignored me in school, like I didn't exist. It was very painful, oh, so painful. You don't understand what it's like to have the girl you love completely ignore you as though you were never there." Her stomach turned. She was sickened.

"Love? Kidnapping me is not the way to get my attention." She yelled. She desperately wanted to take it back, to pull the words back in, but it was already too late. He lifted his chin slightly. She trembled with both anger and fear. He remained silent and studied her with an unreadable expressionless face. 

After a long pause, he walked past her to the door. Turning to face her, he said, "Your food is getting cold." He left the room, closing and locking the numerous locks on the other side of the door. Hyejin screamed and kicked the wall, all her anger trying to burst out at once. She slid down the wall and laid down on the cold concrete floor, staring at her hands as tears fell down her face.