I|day five

Paisley let out a scream as she glided through the air. Her hair flying around her face as Jared's hand held hers, both of them falling as the cool water below them got closer.  The sound of the waves crashing brought a sense of calmness to the girl as their feet hit the water before it engulfed their whole bodies.

The girl pushed her way to the surface, her whole body in tingles as goosebumps rose on her skin; it was much colder than she'd originally thought. Paisley let out an ecstatic yelp she resurfaced, Jared popping up next to her as she found her way over to him. Her legs wrapped around his waist as his hands found her butt; both of them smiling.

"See, that wasn't so bad"Paisley teased as she placed a kiss on the corner of his mouth as he held her closer, the warmness of his abdomen meeting hers through the cold water.

"Speak for yourself, this caused me great anxiety" The girl already knew that, but nothing made her heart happier than knowing he did it anyway. He'd spent the whole climb up to the cliff trying to talk her out of it, but every time she just placed a kiss on his lips and dragged him further up.

Paisley had noticed a change in Jared, since Day Zero. She noticed the way he worried about her more as if she was a fine china doll on a shelf; one bump and she'd break. He worried about things like the common cold now and always making sure she had a coat with her when she went out. He watched what she eat, and always made sure she had something. While words couldn't describe how grateful she was, for everything he did, she was worried he was forgetting about him in the process.

Her teeth chattering took her out of her thoughts as Jared's long arms wrapped around her.

"Ready to get out of here?"

"I'd say we can differently cross number one off our list" Paisley smiled, nodding her head as Jared began moving them towards the shoreline where their towels and clothes sat. The cool air nipped at her skin, making her shiver even more as Jared wrapped a towel around her and pulled her closer.

"Do you think we can do this again? Once it gets warmer?"The question made Jared's heart melt in a way he didn't know it could. It brought him some hope, that she felt optimistic enough to talk about things in the future. That was the sole reason he didn't sleep well at night, it was the very thing that haunted him in his sleep, the thing that made him feel like someone was stabbing him in the heart; that maybe the future they planned wouldn't happen after all.

"Of course we can"He smiled, looking into her eyes as she found a way to make his heart feel lighter, the ways Paisley always did; Jared always told her it was her magic touch.

Paisley shivered the whole way home. Even with Jared's hoodie on, even with a blanket over her lap, even snuggled into Jared's warm chest; but she regretted nothing. The silent car filled with Paisley humming one of their favourite songs, How To Love. She began to sing the words softly, sending goosebumps up the driving boy's arms as he brought her as close as possible.

When they got to the Holland house, she wasn't surprised to see no one home. Wyatt was with Embry and her dad had gone to meet her father, they were going to talk over brunch.

"Let's get you into a warm shower" Jared said to her as they walked into the house, making her stop and look at Jared with a smirk on her face.

"Oh god, what?"He laughed, shutting the door and locking it behind him. Paisley didn't say anything, she just locked eyes with him as her lips curled.

"Race ya"She yelled, throwing off his sweater which left her in nothing more than a wet white t-shirt before she ran up the stairs as fast as she could, knowing she'd never be a match for his 'wolfness'; as she liked to call it.

His arms wrapped around her waist at the top of the stairs making her let out a squeal as he lifted her off the ground and spun her around. Jared smiled to himself as she let out a laugh. A real, honest to god, happy laugh. Setting her down, she spun on her heel quickly as she walked down the pure white hallway and towards the bathroom her and Wyatt shared.

"Coming Cameron?"She winked, throwing her shirt on the floor, leaving the top half of her body fully exposed as she walked deeper in the bathroom. He stood there for a second, looking down the hall like a lost puppy in heat before scrambling towards the bathroom.

"You know, I think Im getting the hang of this"Jared said, forty minutes later as they sat on her bed. The boy sat behind her as he tried to braid her hair, and though it sort of looked like a drunk man did it; he didn't think it was the worst he could have done.

"I'm sure you're getting close babe"She shorted as she turned to look in her full-length mirror, her eyes going wide in horror as her beautiful medium length hair looked like a hornet's nest.

"Okay, I'm officially disallowing you from touching my hair"She laughed as she picked up the brush from the left side of them and took the black hair tie out of the end of whatever Jared had made.

"Hey! I tried"Jared pouted, making Paisley lean back against his chest, her head tilted up by his chin as she puckered her lips. The boy wasted no time leaning his neck down and placing a soft kiss on her lips.

"Its the thought that counts" She reminded him after she pulled away, continuing to brush her hair as he watched. It was moments like this were their real-world floated away for them, and just for a moment they both blissfully forgot. For a single second, she wasn't now a cancer patient, she wasn't scared of anything besides SAT scores, they were Day Zero again.

"How about we make huge bowls of popcorn and watch the Fast and Furious movies?"

"How many times can we watch all five movies?"Jared asked with a laugh, watching as she threw her head back and tied all her hair tightly in a high ponytail.

"Until Paul Walker stops being good looking. Now come on, the popcorn machine is calling my name"Paisley winked, standing up only to loose her footing and fall down. The wolf rushed to her side, watching as she sat up and placed her hands on her head, closing her eyes.

"Im fine, I promise,  I just stood up too fast"She sighed, looking at him in the eyes. For a single moment they were fine, but it never lasted long enough. Jared had a hold on both of her elbows, pulling her up slowly and steadily so she wouldn't get dizzy again. Placing her on the bed, he crouched down to look into her eyes, which held a new level of sadness.

"How about you get the movie ready and I go down to make the popcorn?"He asked softly, Paisley knew what he was doing, and though it was kind, she just wanted to yell; but she didn't. Instead she nodded lightly, refusing to meet his gaze. Jared didn't leave right away, he stood up and placed a soft kiss to her forehead, his hand sitting at the base of her skull.

He wished he could take this away from her. Even if that meant he was the one with cancer, even if that meant he was the one who lost his hair and went for surgery, even if that meant he was the one who died; as long as Paisley didn't have to deal with it.

When Paisley was alone and she knew Jared was downstairs, she let out an angry sob as tears of frustration fell down her cheeks. She had felt so good this morning, she'd felt so good until she stood up too fast. All she wanted to do was feel normal again.

It was only Day Five, and the fact that she knew it was going to get worse scared her; because she was already breaking.

edited/published:03/04/2019
it was kinda a filler
chapter, but we need some
cute before their whole
world comes crashing down
in the following Chapters!