I|day ten

"Almost done, should be about another ten minutes or so"

"Thank you Amy" Paisley said, her smile small and eyes red and tired as her voice was hoarse as she sat in one of the four chairs in the room designated for Chemo. Paisley had picked the earliest appointment, the one no one else ever booked. It was quiet, peaceful. The nurse nodded her head before making it down on her sheet and leaving the room.

Paisley sat on a pink chair, it was one that reclined, her feet slightly less elevated than her head as her tired eyes fluttered closed, her blinks had become longer each day, her whole body feeling a little more tired by every day that went by.

Jared had carried her to the car this morning, and getting dressed wasn't something she was particularly worried about.

Ben sat in a less luxurious chair beside her, their hands locked at he watched her. Her tired body, already looking frailer than it had just a few days prior. Ben had learned that there weren't any words to describe how broken he felt. It was almost like taking a sip of hot coffee, the liquid warming your throat before it slowly begins to make your whole body warm. But instead of warm and cozy, it was devastation and sadness. It had consumed him. As a parent, you only ever have one goal; protect them. You want them to be happier than you were, you want them to enjoy and laugh more- you begin to feel like your only on this earth to make sure they are okay, and when you aren't you make them feel better.

Ben felt like he failed. This wasn't a scrapped knee from falling off a bike, or a bruise from falling up the stairs. You can't fix cancer with a bear hug and ice cream. Ben was sure he failed as a parent.

"There's my girl" Jared said, his face lighting up like the sky on forth of July. Carrott sticks in one hand and a box of juice in the other. The dad looked towards his daughter's face, watching as the first honest smile he'd seen from her in what felt like forever played softly on her lips. Even in the worst moments, he brought something good out of her.

"Peach your favourite"Jared smiled, placing the small plastic bag carrots on her lap before taking the small wrapper off her straw and placing it in the top of the box.

"Paisley, how are we doing today?" Doctor Carlisle asked as he walked into the room, the girl could feel Jared's body stiff up from his place on the other side.

"Fine, just sore and tired"Paisley was being a lot more calm about this than her body was. It felt like everything had turned to stone, her throat was on fire and staying awake felt like the largest challenge she'd ever faced.

"I can write you a prescription for a relaxant, hows your throat? Does it hurt at all?" Carlie's face as serious as can be as his blue pen danced across the page.

"Yes, like it's constantly dry and burning" She watched as the doctor nodded his head again, his pen still going.

"Try things like milkshakes or smoothies, or even slushies; the coldness should help" He told her, ripping the paper from his prescription pad as his eyes briefly met Jareds.  The action made Paisley hum a small laugh as she thought about the day after they had found out that Doctor. Cullen would be her full-time doctor.

The boy who was boarding on full adulthood had rushed into Emily and Sam's house like his life had dependant on it, yelling and shouting as he marched right up to the dining room table. For a single second, he forgot the power Sam had, and demanded he did something. Call a discrepancy in the treaty rules, kill him, hide in an underground bunker, but 'there is no fucking way im going allow her life to be put into her hands! You better fix this!"

If Jared wasn't deep down as fragile and broken as he was, there would have probably been some sort of yelling on the alpha's part, but instead, he sat down with the younger wolf and talked everything out; looked at every angle possible. There was nothing anyone could do on their end, it was up to Paisley in the end, and she was fine with it.

Paisley understood why they hated the Cullens, their kind was threatening and dangerous, it was in their nature to kill. But in the time Paisley knew about them, she'd watched as the Cullens had never hurt a soul, keeping to their word and their promises every time. It wasn't exactly in Paisley's nature to hate their complete existence, but it didn't mean she was going to have a tea party anytime soon.

"I'll go get the wheelchair" Jared said, giving Paisley's hand one final squeeze before getting up and leaving the room, an awkwardness still heavy in the hospital room.

"I'll go get the car"Ben told her, standing up and leaning down to press a kiss to her forehead.

"I appear to be able to clear a room"Carlisle said, making her tired eyes closed as she belted out a laugh.

"I'm sorry about Jared. He's really trying- but you know, inner wolfman bullshit"Paisley said, waving her hand on the air as she moved the reclined chair into the sitting position.

"I understand, if there is ever anything I can do for you, please don't hesitate to ask"

"Thank you, I appreciate everything you're doing for me"

"It's my job"Carlisle smiled her, a genuine smile. One that told Paisley his smile was true, one that said he loved his job, one that said he wouldn't give up on her.

"I'll see you in two days"

"Ready to go?"Jared asked, his eyes slightly glossy as the bags under his eyes held nights of little to no sleep- nights filled with google searches and worrying. Nights checking to make sure she's still breaking.

"Hey Jar?"Paisley said, making the wolf stop moving her bags to the handles of the chair, giving her a small smile as their eyes met.

"I love you, okay?"

"Always baby"Jared told her, smiling for a split second- as if he just completely forgot. Forgot they were in a hospital, forgot she had a ticking time clock on her. There was nothing wrong with either of them, they were just in love.