27- Trust

GEIR—

My little mate's soft, hiccuping sobs against my neck tore at something inside of me. I had held off on asking my mate about his father, about any retribution I needed to mete out to the man who had so obviously caused my mate intense distress. But now that I was no longer Warlord, I was free to bring about a reckoning on the man he wouldn't survive.

First though, I needed to calm my mate, give him rest, and then we would learn more of each other, and he would tell me what my next move was to be. If we would return to El'kahr after our mating period was over, or if there was something else he desired.

For I was at his beck and call— whatever my mate decided his father's fate was, that's what it would be.

I would also be conversing with Jacob as to what he and Sriny'ete required the fate of that monster who harmed children to be. For a quick stop to end his life, slowly and oh-so-painfully, would be nothing on the way back to El'kahr to deal with Amer's... sire.

With a nod to both Jacob and his mate, I pulled Amer up into my arms and moved down the hall to our bedchamber. His cries had quieted, but he shivered in my arms despite the warmth in the air.

He remained limp as I undressed myself, and then him, before lying down and pulling him into my arms.

"When I first heard your name, I thought you a coward," I whispered into his ear, tightening my hold on him when he stiffened just a bit at my words. "A spoiled princeling who hid behind his people and let them die in his name, in vain, for his and his father's greed. When I met you, those assumptions were proven wrong. And each day I've known you, little mate, you've proven again and again the strength of your spirit and the resilience of your honor.

"I am the luckiest man in Akar and any of the surrounding lands, in all of Nefiir, to have you for my mate. Tonight, we rest, for although it is our mating night, the events of the night have exhausted me, and I'm sure they have you as well. We will spend the next week learning each other's minds, souls, and bodies, and once our mating period is over, we will decide what to do about the evil men we left behind in the land of your birth."

Amer was quiet for a few minutes, his breathing evening out, his tears drying. Just when I thought he had fallen to sleep, when his heavy breaths were even, he spoke.

"Before I meet you," he began, his words no more than a whisper spoken through a sore throat and dry lips. "I think you are monster. Evil, war hungry barbarian. When I meet you, I think you a cruel man who choose my father son only to humiliate him by force his only son to slave, to degrade me and teach my father lesson. Even as you show me, every day, with way you hold me, touch me, treat me respect, I still been tell something that the opposite of how you made me feel."

"That you were my slave," I said when he seemed to be finding his words and might hesitate in continuing.

"Ravi tell me, your actions tell me, my heart tell me... but still, I afraid to let self feel anything but hatred for you... Geir, why you not...? Why you not try explain me, the truth?"

My thoughts were frazzled, unsure how to answer my mate. I had explained my actions to Ravi, to a few of my captains, but somehow... had I somehow left my mate, the most important to me, out of my mind? Had I never told him, really explained to him, what he was to me?

How was that possible...?

"I had thought, at first, you wouldn't believe me anyways, so I didn't see the point— that you would figure it out with time, as you have," I began, thinking back on all the times my mate had submitted to me, but kept himself back in spirit. Had I not seen his pain? Had I been blind to his fear? Had I hurt him, and I hadn't even noticed? Dear gods, I prayed I hadn't done any irrevocable damage to my mate. "I can see now that I made a mistake. I should have tried to explain to you, so even if you didn't believe me, you would be aware fully of everything.

"I am sorry, little mate. I hope my actions... I hope my mistake has not hurt you too badly. I hope that I—"

"— You should have tell me," my brave mate whispered, little sobs hitching his throat. "I wouldn't have believe you, I know. But you still should have spoke the words. I was so afraid for those first few days, Geir. And so unsure. You could have help alleviate that."

"Little mate, my apologies are sincere. Please know I never meant to frighten you. I only wanted you to be mine, and I wanted to go home. I wanted peace, and no more bloodshed, and I was stressed about getting home. I was maybe short sighted for all of that. I'm so sorry, my Amer."

"I forgive you, Geir. I forgive you, but I needed you to know. I needed..."

"I understand, my sweet Amer. I understand, and I hear you. And I thank you, for your trust, your faith, and your forgiveness. May I kiss you, Amer? I wish very much to—"

"— Kiss me, please," Amer whispered, his face finally twisting around so he could glance up at me rather than pressed against my chest. His face was blotchy and pale, covered in tears.

I pressed my lips against his eyes, licking up his salty tears, before gently taking his lips in a sweet kiss. He kissed me back, just for a moment, before he pulled away and dug his face into my neck.

"We will speak more of how I can earn your forgiveness for my lack of care, and the many other things I have obviously been neglecting. But for now, my beautiful mate, sleep. Sleep in my arms and know you are safe, and you will never again be alone against the forces of evil men. I will always be at your side to help you fight them."