35- To Be King

*****Last chapter, ya'll, then an epilogue. I really need to finish up The Monster's Heir, then I'll start uploading that. Hopefully I can get that finished up this weekend so I can start uploading it next Friday or the Monday after... We'll see! *****

AMER—

Hestiel had brought a contingent of only 20 men. They had snuck through the lands of Akar with their small numbers, and tracked me down with the help of the huge, blonde man Hestiel introduced to me as Sage. He had been a soldier under the previous general and had lived on the Akaran border most of his life, so he spoke a bit of Akari and knew their customs like I didn't even yet. He was gentle, quiet, and was one of the only men my sister trusted with the knowledge of what she had done.

My suspicions that she had ended my father's life were confirmed from her own mouth. After Geir and I had bathed, dressed, and assured each other, with tongues and teeth, gasping words and hot breaths, that we were both alright, if a bit shaken up by what had happened, we joined Hestiel and a few of her men in the dining area I hadn't even seen yet. I'd spent the last few days... occupied. I hadn't even had a chance to explore my new home yet.

We sat around the large table, in the wooden chairs spread around it. Dew worked diligently at the hearth, putting together breakfast with a whistle on his tongue.I was amused by how easily and quickly he had made himself at home in Geir's kitchen, but it wasn't surprising. That was just the way Dew was. If he hadn't been that way, he may never have simply taken another man's children in as his own, especially his king's, and I couldn't bear the thought of never having grown with Dew as a positive male role model for me and my sisters. We would likely have grown very differently if it weren't for the unassuming but stubborn man.

"He signed a marriage contract with Butcger for Mem's hand," Hestiel said simply, and my gasp alerted Geir enough that, despite Hestiel speaking in El'kahrian, he grabbed me and pulled me into his lap, as if he understood her words. "I've been planning to do it for... gods, for years. But that... you made me promise. Promise I wouldn't allow him to do to Mem what he did to you. He finally pushed my hand, though we all know I should have done it years ago."

I translated what she said to Geir, who frowned, his brows furrowed, as he looked around at the men around us. The others had left after being introduced to Geir. Some were my friends, men I had know my whole life, and it was good to see they had stayed loyal to our friendship enough to come rescue me from a fate they thought I was suffering. Being able to reassure them myself had been needed, as some still looked disbelieving until Geir hugged me from behind. They must have seen something then, for they finally acquiesced and left to set up camp outside Geir's... our home.

The only remaining men were Dew and Sage. Hestiel noticed Geir's look and smiled tightly. In Akari, she said, "They know. They're the only ones who do. Dew has been a father to me and my siblings our whole life. And Sage... well, I trust him with my life. Let's leave it at that."

I raised my eyebrows and looked pointedly from Hestiel to Sage and back again. They exchanged a look before Sage burst out laughing at the heady blush that rose to Hestiel's face.

"Your sister's virtue is safe from me," Sage laughed, his voice grumbly and deep. He reached down and lifted his shirt and tunic— just enough to show me the piercing on his belly, matching my own.

With the move, Geir's arm around me tightened and he growled throatily up at the man.

"Ah, I see the Warlord knows what that means," Sage laughed, shaking his head and letting his shirt drop down around his breeches. He continued in broken Akari, "Calm, big guy, I no steal Warlord mate."

I laughed, blushing at Geir's reaction and Sage's words.

"Did he..." I paused, unsure how to voice the question I wanted to ask. But Hestiel knew me well, for her eyes softened and she shook her head.

"You're far too gentle to be king," she began in Akari, shaking her head and reaching out to hold my hand. "I knew this the moment I first held you in my arms when you were a babe. But I will not lie to you," she finished, her eyes hardening. "Our father suffered in his death. I made sure he felt it, every excruciating moment. For everything he made us suffer, our people suffer, our neighbors suffer. I made him feel it."

I would never know if the tears that fell down my cheeks at those words were relief or grief. But Geir's arms around me, his heat at my back, comforted me until the tears dried and I was able to listen back in on the conversation between Geir and Hestiel.

"If I'm to return and take the throne, I'll have to remove many, if not all, of the current councilors. They've made it perfectly clear I'm not a suitable candidate for the throne."

"I can help with that," Geir said, relaxing back against his seat. I leaned back, warm and safe in his arms. "You're my mate's sister, so you are kin. If you're in danger, I can gather men to send with you. Even more if you can wait until I message the Tribal Chiefs. I'm sure they'd be ecstatic to help the sister of my Warprize onto the throne. It would ensure a lasting peace with El'kahr. Possibly for generations to come."

Hestiel seemed taken aback, but she quickly rallied, nodding regally.

Geir continued with a clenched fist against my stomach. "Especially if one of these councilors is this Butcger. I know at least one Tribal Chief who would gladly send as many warriors as you need to aid in bringing that monster to justice."

I met Geir's eyes, nodding as I remembered the conversation with Sriny'ete and his mate. I was sure Chief Jacob would send as many men as he could, if it meant Butcger would face justice for his crimes against children, against his mate.

"I'd love to be part of that as well, Your Highness," Sage spoke up from beside Hestiel. He seemed to be following our conversation in Akari, but he spoke in El'kahrian. I translated for Geir as he spoke. "It would be my pleasure to lead a contingent of men on Butcger's castle."

Hestiel nodded, then turned back to Geir. "Your help would be appreciated," she said, inclining her head. "But we shouldn't need too many men. Most in Veil will support my claim to the throne, and those who don't are few and weak now that the king is dead. As long as I have Amer's backing, I should be able to cut down any who want him as their king rather than me."

Back in our bed later, after hours of plans I barely paid any attention to, sending out messages to Chief Jacob and his mate, and a few others, setting Hestiel in a guest room, and her men in their tents outside, Geir held me tight to his chest, whispered his love into my ear, and I fell to sleep knowing that all would be right in the world as long as we were together. I had faith in my sister to right the wrongs of our father, and I would back her as I could from Geir's side. But I would never again deny who I was for the sake of others. I had done it my entire life, and now that I had Geir, any who believed I should continue as I had could go eat a dick.

And not in the good way.