Prologue

Xie Lien

If you read the synopsis, then I assume you know what kind of story you're in for.

Modern girl reincarnates into some unknown period of ancient China and gets a dose of the schemes and tricks she's so often read about in novels, rises in a harsh society with sheer willpower and wit, battles against those jealous of her, finds love, and rightfully takes her place as the empress.

If you expected any of the above then you're in the wrong book.

Yes I reincarnated into an unknown period of China, but I'm not so stupid as to initiate a plot and get myself into that gilded snake cage.

An awkward potato like me won't last a day.

In this world, I am known as Xie Lien, the legitimate and second daughter of the right prime minister of the Jun Qi empire. Due to my otherworldly looks, I am not allowed to leave the residence, as my parents' often say even beauty is a curse of its own.

My father is Xie Ran. From what I hear, he's very favored by his majesty for his unbiased nature and has proffered many solutions to disasters in the past.

Mother's name is Cai Yi Yi. She's the legitimate daughter of the minister of trade, but gramps is a randy and greedy man so I don't like him much.

I've also got an older brother named Xie Long. He's the pride of our family and is only 19, but is slowly debuting into officialdom. I especially love this genius brother who dotes on me and spoils me rotten because he feels bad I can't go outside.

Father has two concubines, Shen and Wang Yiniang1. Shen Yiniang was apparently taken in as a concubine as a favor to her father who helped Xie Ran out in the past, and Wang Yiniang came in because grandma insisted back when she was alive. Shen Yiniang has one daughter who is my older sister, Xie Bo. And Wang Yiniang gave birth to my younger sister Xie Diu.

It's been 14 years since my reincarnation, and while I greatly enjoy my carefree life, recently I've been feeling very anxious and troubled.

"Second miss looks sad." I raised my eyes and met Shen Yiniang's mocking eyes. "Is second miss troubled by those awful rumors?"

Since I'm always shut in, the whole capital of Da Wei insists I'm incredibly ugly and look like a demon. I've never voiced this, but I feel Xie Bo is involved in those rumors. I caught the edge of mother's lips twitch in irritation, but father did not notice their indirect jab at my poor reputation.

Father was grandmother's only child and grew up in a residence with no step-siblings or concubines. He's formidable in court, but rather helpless in the inner courtyard, so as far as he's concerned Shen Yiniang is genuinely worried about me.

Before I could reply, Xie Long spoke, "Meimei2 do not let those rumors bother you. Those gossipmongers would spit blood if they ever saw you." I smiled at this brother who could not tolerate even a grain of sand in my pretty eyes and said, "Gege3 does not need to worry. Lien'Er4 is not bothered by simple rumors. They're baseless and those who believe or spread them are obviously no different from an uNcUltUrED sWiNe." I glanced at Shen Yiniang when I said the last part and was amused by the way her face contorted.

"Lien'Er is right." Father said proudly, "Simply because one does not see does not make it so, and spreading rumors like that is most likely the work of some lousy people with no sense." I almost choked on my restrained laughter as Xie Bo openly glared at me.

I always knew those wuxia novels would save me someday.

Dinner concluded and I was about to make my way back to my plum blossom courtyard when I felt a hand on my shoulder. It's Xie Diu. She's only younger than me with a year, but I dare say she's even more malicious and wretched than Xie Bo.