Empress Xie•3

The banquet is arranged as such; mothers and daughters took up a long table to the left of the hall, young masters sat at the right on an equally long table, and at the very front of the hall, is an elevated platform, with the Emperor, Empress, and Empress Dowager seating at the top, the Consorts sat slightly below them, the princes sat below the Consorts, according to age with their Wangfei beside them. Xie Ran and the Left Prime Minister sat below the princes, and other officials of lower rank seat below the Prime Minsiters.

Xie Ran was in a very uncomfortable position. From the moment they arrived, he and Cai Yi Yi were stricken with worry and anxiety. It took willpower to fight off the urge to sigh every three seconds. From his seat, he could make out Xie Lien's beautiful lilac hanfu and onyx locks. A rueful smile formed on his lips as he imagined her eyes wide as the acrobats flipped and danced around in their sparkly costumes. He had managed to smile earlier in order to keep her from worrying, but his heart was troubled as terrifying thoughts filled his mind.

This daughter of his was simply too beautiful for her own good, literally a national beauty. He kept her locked away in order to avoid prying eyes and decided to marry her to a good man of his choosing. He hated that she couldn't be courted and fall in love on her own, but he knew too many people would confuse lust and enchantment for love.

Above him, the princes gossiped about the beauty in lilac.

"Why has this prince never seen this lady before?" Jun Qi Chen asked in a tone of awe, making his Wangfei grow red in shame and anger. As a martial arts practitioner, the distance did not trouble him, or the other princes, a bit.

"She's seating with Xie Furen and the concubine daughters." Jun Qi Kang reasoned. "Could it be the rumored second miss?"

"Fifth Brother do not say rubbish." The Crown Prince scoffed. "Isn't second lady Xie said to be ugly beyond reason?"

Xie Ran silently gnashed his teeth. In the first place, he never liked the Crown Prince, but now he simply loathed the boy.

"First Brother that is too harsh." Jun Qi Dishi soothed. "What does Third Brother think?"

Xie Ran calmed and heightened his senses. He was indeed very curious about Jun Qi Fai. When the prince had first arrived, they all bowed to greet the royal family, but Xie Ran dared to peek. Unfortunately, the Third Prince was blocked by Jun Qi Kang and Xie Ran could only see his long onyx hair. Even now, the seating positions only allowed for Xie Ran to see Jun Qi Fai's black and gold robes.

"Second Xie miss is indeed very beautiful." He answered, almost with disinterest.

"How boring." Fifth Prince said rudely.

First Prince laughed nervously. "As expected of the great hero of the south."

Xie Ran paid no more attention after that, but he didn't know whether to smile of frown. The Third Prince's tone completely removed him from further conversation about Xie Lien, but it also left no room for one to discern his true opinion.

~~*~~

"Who is that young lady?" The Empress Dowager asked behind her fan.

The Emperor and Empress knew who she was talking about, after all they had been wondering about it as well. "If Zhen is not mistaken, that is second lady Xie." Jun Qi Ming was smiling slightly, but his dark eyes swirled with thoughts and emotions. From his throne, he could still see Xie Ran and wondered what this old confidant of his was thinking.

"Why has Aijia1 never heard of such a beautiful girl?" The older woman asked again.

"One is afraid we're all as surprised as her majesty." The Empress smiled kindly. "This is the first time second young lady Xie has attended a banquet, but one has heard she does not have a very good reputation."