Empress Xie•11

"A familiar face." Jun Qi Chen chuckled at his good luck. "Benwang did not know the Xie's second miss would be visiting. If not, Benwang would have brought more presents."

With her head lowered, Xie Lien replied, "Your highness does not need to be considerate of this subject."

"Xie Second Miss is too humble." Jun Qi Chen laughed, offering his hand to help Xie Lien up.

In front of so many people, did she dare refuse him? Feeling her new found freedom slipping through her fingers, Xie Lien accepted the Prince's outstretched hand with a polite smile. Once she was standing, she tried to pull away but Jun Qi Chen kept a firm hold of her dainty hand.

Without thinking much, she could already see what everyone saw and hear what they would be saying later. "Xie Lien only came to visit grandmother for a bit. Perhaps it is time this miss leaves."

"Does Benwang's presence make you uncomfortable?" Jun Qi Chen asked. His lips turned down sadly but his eyes gave away his slyness.

"Not at all." Xie Lien turned her eyes away and lowered her lashes. You think you're the only pitiful one? "However, this miss promised mother and father to not be out for long."

No upright and noble Prince will encourage a young girl to break a promise to her parents. Unfortunately for Xie Lien, she had more then one problematic person to deal with.

"Haha! Our family's Lien'Er is such a filial child!" Cai Yuan boasted, "Don't worry Lien'Er, grandfather will speak to your father and Yi Yi, so stay a little longer."

Xie Lien could imagine that conversation leading to her being confined once more and opened her mouth to make another excuse, only for her to be cut off by Jun Qi Chen. "Xie Second Miss, Minister Cai is always bragging about you. Please don't let Benwang's presence keep you from spending time with your grandfather."

The Crown Prince himself was pleading so politely for her to be filial. No matter how great her father is, she dared not make anymore excuses. "In that case, Lien'Er will stay longer and catch up with cousin Meng, then grandfather and Lien'Er can have a talk later."

"Silly girl, so excited to see your family, what about the Crown Prince? Grandfather and grandmother will prepare things, so take his highness for a walk until then."

Xie Lien was annoyed by her grandfather, but also very impressed. As expected, such a greedy fox could never last this long had his tongue not been so glib.

However, a fox will indeed father a vixen. Xie Lien might not be on his level, but she was not without her own talents. The young beauty pouted with a regretful look. "Grandfather, Lien'Er has not been here for so many years and no longer knows her way." She hooked her arm with Cai Meng's before anyone could say anything. "Let cousin Meng come along so Lien'Er doesn't make a mistake."

It wouldn't make any sense for Cai Yuan to refuse, and Jun Qi Chen couldn't insist on being alone with her or his intentions would become obvious. It wouldn't do good for his wife's family to learn he had plans to replace her.

Jun Qi Chen glanced at the old minister and found he was also cornered. "Of course, Benwang didn't think you would also want to catch up with your cousin. Let's go together." Seeing Xie Lien so resolute, but careful, to keep him away, he only wanted her more.

Xie Lien held the blushing Cai Meng between her and the Prince. Even though she wasn't saying anything, the effort to keep smiling was enough to tire her out.

In her heart, Xie Lien raised a middle finger in Cai Yuan's dishonor. Her mother once told her the gardens in the Cai residence are large because Cai Yuan likes seeing beauties playing amongst flowers.