Chapter 22

Loki's hackles rose at Sif's words. Why did Odin send her? Why did Odin send her? Sending a messenger to bring Loki before him wasn't an unusual occurrence, he was a prince and had duties to the throne after all. That didn't explain what Odin could want with Morgan. Or why he sent Sif.

Loki sighed, his arm going protectively around Morgan as he addressed Sif. "What does he need, Sif?" he asked a little more curtly than he usually would be with Sif. He liked her after all. She was the only of his brother's friends that he could tolerate.

Sif laughed, trying to ease the tension. She knew it was weird for Odin to send her. "Don't huff so, Loki," she said warmly, keeping her tone light and friendly, trying to reassure Loki this visit wasn't a big deal. Loki didn't believe it, but he let her keep talking. "All he sent me for is to make sure "Lady Brynhilde's daughter" is capable of at least defending herself before she returns to Midgard," Sif explained. Loki heard the words she wasn't saying. All ladies of Asgard needed to be able to defend themselves, at least well enough to buy time for a trained warrior to arrive to help them.

Odin could order her to stay on Asgard until she could defend herself that well. He could hold her to that standard even blind. Especially blind. He could chain her to Asgard.

And he was within his rights to do it to defend one of the nobles in his care.

Neither Sif nor Loki wanted to upset Morgan, though. "And you're here to teach her, I assume?" Loki asked carefully. He assumed that Sif was here to evaluate Morgan's skills. He wanted to find a way to tell Sif that she better clear Morgan to leave Asgard. If Odin was leaving the evaluation of Morgan's skill up to Sif, there was a chance... "It is certainly an honor to have the Goddess of War as a combat instructor," he said just as carefully. He hoped Sif would get the message that as Goddess of War, she could declare a noble fit to leave Asgard. And she better do it.

Sif nodded. "The Allfather asked me to evaluate her skills and make sure she is taught what is necessary." It wasn't a new assignment for Sif, most young noble ladies went to her for training. This really wasn't new, except that the lady in question was Loki's lady. And he wouldn't put up with this not going the way he wanted.

Morgan rolled her eyes. "Joy... more mandatory self-defense lessons," her voice was laced with sarcasm as she mock grumbled.

Sif smirked and lit up. "More, hm?" she asked with a wicked gleam in her eye. This might not be so bad after all.

Before Loki knew what was happening, the girls' arms were linked and Sif was leading Morgan out to the practice courts, grilling Morgan on what self-defense she already knew and how she learned it.

Loki chuckled to himself as he moved to catch up with them. "I should have seen that coming..."

Sif laughed and looked back at Loki over her shoulder. "Yes. You should have!" she replied brightly, excited for a new sparring partner to play with, especially since she had a feeling Morgan could be a good friend.

Morgan had a knack for befriending everyone around her, especially for someone who claimed she sucked at making friends.

"She will surprise you, Sif," Loki said warmly. He'd seen his lady in action and didn't doubt that she could pass Sif's assessment. Unless Sif was under orders to fail her.

Loki wouldn't stand for it if Sif was under orders to fail her.

"I'm sure she will," Sif agreed, her tone clear that she would evaluate and teach Morgan fairly. "Anyone you're interested in, Trickster? They would have to be full of surprises," Sif teased him warmly.