Part 4 - A Lighthearted Conversation

Kate climbed off the log and moved across to the trees, sitting down in the short undergrowth, fallen leaves and twigs near the edge of the path and drank the remainder of the lemony tasting water in the canteen. 

Having no idea as to the time, she wondered how long it would be until lunch time. I'm not hungry, and I'm no long thirsty.  I'm really sleepy though..

Making herself comfortable with her back against a tree trunk, she pressed the 'play all' command and fell asleep, with the wonderful music and singing in her ears, slumping down slowly until she lay among the leaves.

Shaken awake, she was dazzled by torch light. Diana's voice rang into her ears. "You sleepy-head. We thought you'd wake before now." Helping Kate up while talking, she gathered the sunglasses, and the iPod, putting them in a pocket. She put the leather belt of the canteen around Kate's neck. 

"Here," Kate said, pulling the ear pods and passing them to Diana. "The music is still going..."

Drawing Kate along by one hand Diana said, "The sun's gone down. There's a hot pot waiting for us in the kitchen with fruit pies for dessert. You missed lunch, but they said you were sleeping and when I zoomed in on you, I made sure that you still breathed..."

Kate broke into laughter at this. It felt good to laugh. She couldn't remember if she had done this before. "How does someone zoom? I'm glad I kept breathing, aren't you?" she queried, lightheartedly.

Diana kept talking, "I've had a sleep and I've eaten. I decided to wake you. I'm on watch for a few hours while the others have chow then I'll sleep again until midnight. If you can't sleep tonight, you can sit in the monitoring room me." At Kate's smile, she said, "You must have had sweet dreams, Kate..."

"Yes, I did, I remember being in a large place, a big building and everyone was singing. A choir was announced and they sang the songs I have been listening to. Everyone was happy and I felt so happy. I wanted to stay there forever. I can't remember laughing much before, but surely, I must have, mustn't I?"

"Of course you have." Diana frowned, then asked, "You remember your church."

"Yes, church. It's called church..."

"No other memories?"

"I think there's something about, about... something I didn't understand... I think, in a dream, I saw a doctor who said I have to be careful because I have allergies..." she laughed again. "I've no idea what allergies is, but I remember being told I have some...  and somewhere, I have a friend, a really good friend, maybe even more than one... and an older person, a lady, I could see her..."

"Having allergies might explain why you reacted to that injection they said you were given when they took you from your home. We're working on getting information as to what exactly was in that cocktail..."

"I was taken from my home?" she asked. Before Diana could answer, she blurted, "I have a home? That makes me feel happy. Where is my home?"

"It's in the States."

"States?" What are states? —Where are they?"

"You're kidding, aren't you?" When Kate's brow wrinkled as though she didn't understand, Diana, explained, "Kidding is like joking, like making it up. You do know that the U.S.A has over fifty states, don't you?"

"How would I know? —And why would I joke, like make, make it up?" Kate said. She pulled her hand away. "Do you mean, like a lie?" Dropping to her knees she covered her face with her hands, saying, "I hate this. I hate myself. I do remember the music and the words, I heard them over and over... about God's love and how He, Jesus, God's Son, he calms storms and he cares for us. But I don't think he does care. I can't remember him. I need to find him somehow..."

She sobbed as though her heart would break.

Pulling Kate to her feet, Diana placed an arm around her shoulders, drawing her along with her while saying, "We believe in God and Jesus, and we believe God is our reason for living. We have purpose. We help people, like you Kate, many people, children. You will find your way, Kate, you will regain your memory and you will find your way home. We will help you. Richard is coming. He's eager to be here and to help you. Let's just go back to the bunker for now and enjoy our supper."

After wiping her tears and smiling about her previous lighthearted words, then remembering other things she didn't understand before bursting into tears; knowing despair; Kate felt exhausted and allowed Diana to help her up the steps to the bunker doorway. Drawing a sob, she said, "I'm glad that this isn't my home... I don't want to live here in this bunker for much longer... and I don't want to be in this state, not when I feel so helpless..." 

"I promise you, Kate, even if things seem to get worse, the storm grows darker, there will come a time when it will all get better and there will be light."