Part 19 - Heartbreak

Two more days of rest had to be endured by Kate before she could leave the hospital room behind and go up on deck to walk in fresh ocean air.

She'd walked along the corridor and back, several times each day, using a walking frame, complaining about having to wear the boots.

"They're working on it, Kate."

"Where in the world are we?" Kate asked, adding, "You have air-conditioning on so it must be hot outside..."

"Yes, we're lingering in the North Pacific Ocean, above the equator, between the Mexico and Hawaii. It's a great place to remain cloaked and out of the way of either sea-going vessels or aircraft but we're still in reach of other facilities if they need help. One of the safest oceans in the world is the Indian Ocean. They've never been disturbed when they retreat Pioneer there."

"You call this the vessel, Pioneer, but what is it exactly?"

"It's what we call an ultra-modern, floating laboratory, Kate, where we can test new inventions and not be disturbed. Your father will love it here..." Lifting his hand to his ear, he blocked the other to listen. After a minute he took his hand away and said, "We have good news for you, Kate. You can now remove your boots because adjustments have been made to our vessel's cloaking system that includes your feet as well. I confess, I found your watch and gave it to Richard —they used its technology."

"Great! I'll be able work out in the gym, won't I?"

"We'll see. One step at a time, Kate."

To walk up the stairs, wearing sneakers, without Diana's help, made Kate feel she was making good progress. The weakness she'd suffered from had gone. Diane was her constant companion and helper while Joe was given duties elsewhere.

Richard spent time with her whenever he could and their friendship progressed more positively than previously. He shared with her that he'd never been through an 'escape' experience on foot before, only in some training a few years ago. "To stay somewhere in the wilds, such as that in cave, for a whole night, it was all new to me."

"Welcome to the real world. I feel I've been running all my life, not so much physically but emotionally and spiritually. I still don't know who I am. But, yes, that chase from my home to the ocean, it was a test of all our endurance."

Unable not to banter him, Kate couldn't help joke about that trek and said, "I remember your face, Richard, when we had to jump in the river and wade, it was as though you'd been told you could never eat ice cream again. Oh, yes, I remember how you wrote and told me that you often had ice cream for breakfast..."

"You've never tasted ice cream until you've eaten the ones I have in our freezer here, Kate. I have it shipped from New Zealand."

"I'm sure you have chocolate flavor amongst them. I'll have to taste it and give you my opinion."

"How about now?"

"It must be supper time in less than an hour..."

"I can eat ice cream anywhere, anytime," Richard said.

"If you want it now, I can go with that," she said, smiling at him.

Sharing ice cream with Richard felt so right to Kate. He watched her while she tasted the 'double chocolate' flavor.

Seated on high stools at a bench in the cooks' alcove of the modern stainless-steel kitchen, with a spoon each, they chatted about each of the flavors that Bernie, the uncrowned king of the kitchen dished for them on narrow oblong plates.

The kitchen was a buzz of activity; preparations for the evening meal for all on board were in progress, enough for over fifty meals in two sittings to be served in the mess hall.