Part 6 - Green Eyes

Kate remained in a semi-coma-like condition while nurses and doctors came and went, some dropping in while on the way to being helicoptered from other areas of need, usually after the emergency they'd flown to had been taken care of or when the injured or ill had been transferred elsewhere.

As yet, no one had the answer as to whether there was a connection between the injected drugs, her amnesia and now her state of unconsciousness.

The good news was that her blood-pressure had stablized and the raging fever she had suffered, was gone, making significant improvements in her health. The difficult news to relate was that she was still unable to be awakened and there were no answers as to why...

Two weeks passed and Richard had visited twice-weekly, unable to speak with her but to sit at her bedside watching the monitors at work monitoring that she breathed with a regular heartbeat and was alive.

If he asked once, he asked half a dozen times, "How could we allow this to happen?"

*****

It was early morning and the hospital facility came alive with day staff arriving on duty to change with the night staff.

Music was turned in the small room where Kate lay, as it had been, daily for the past two weeks.

After the nurse checked the monitors and left, satisfied she could report their patient as 'improving', Kate stirred. The music was soft and gentle, hymns from era's past, some she had heard in church, others new to her, or now, maybe not so new as the doctors believed her subconscious would be taking the music and voices in.

The repetitive chorus caused her to come to consciousness. It seemed to be calling her... home...

Kate did not think of heaven, but a picture of her home on the coast of North America came to her mind. "Come home," the hymn repeated.

Opening her eyes, she dragged the oxygen mask away from her face while struggling to sit. Her efforts pulled against the tubes connecting her to monitors.

She was being called, "Come home."

Her home was in a beautiful location, not far from the ocean...

It was home, her home...

She had seen it in a picture in her mind...

Although weak, she managed to sit right up. In trying to swivel around onto the side of the bed, she caused a warning signal to switch on with a flashing red light that showed up in the monitoring room.

Before Kate could push herself forward to stand, two nurses rushed into the room, both expecting that she had flat-lined as the heart monitor clip had come off her fore-finger. 

"Good morning Kate; you're awake. But, let us help you..." A male nurse took Kate by the shoulders and gently pushed her before lifting her to sit around on the bed. "We need to free you first before you can get up..."

"I want to go home," Kate said, adding, "Why am I here, like this? What did you do to me? I just want to go home..."

The two nurses began to disconnected her syringe pump and other devices. Another, entering the room, turned the music video off.

Richard stepped into the room but the nurses shook their heads at him. One said, "Wait out of the room, Sir. We won't be long." She smiled, pleased to give good news, "Miss Kate is wide awake and wants to sit up."