Part 15 - One Sleepless Night

Pushing through the undergrowth and bushes at the edge of the park, Kate led them to a gate in a wooden fence. Reaching her hand through a gap, she pulled up a lever and pushed the gate open, stepping through. The men followed.

Walking along the fence and behind a garden shed, Kate exclaimed, "Oh no! The grate is askew, see, it's not in its place as it should be."

"It's not a drain for water?"

"Yes, but it's also got steps down to the cell."

"A cell?"

"I call it that, but it's kind of a small bunker. It has a stairway up into the garage as well but you have to go around to a door in the house, to get in." 

Pressing his watch-light, Staffy asked, "Is that blood?" Bending to touch the grass, he turned his fingers to look at the bright redness of them. "Does anyone else know about this cell?" He stepped back to the side of the house, saying, "There's more. Who knows this place, Kate?"

"Oh, my father...I forgot; but if he's here and there's blood, he, he could be hurt..."

"You don't know that. We're not going down there. We'll find somewhere else to wait it out."

"I'll go down," Staffy said. Lifting the grate aside, he dropped both feet down until he felt the top step of the ladder.

"There's a light switch down there, on the left, just through the archway. There's no door," Kate said.

Staffy's voice, sounding hollow, called, "There's a pool of blood down here. I'm going in."

Richard leaned back on the fence, rubbing his shoulder while Kate turned the other way with her eyes on the track of blood drops.

Stepping further away from Richard, Kate pulled the long funeral gown up over her head, causing her hat to fall off. She moved along the grass, blotting at it with the dress, saying, "I'll wipe it up out to wherever it finishes. Anyone could follow this. It's a wonder we didn't see it before now."

As she crouched, she lost her balance. At the same time, Staffy's head appeared and he said, "There's a man who's been shot, Kate. He's not conscious but is breathing. Come and tell me if you know him; here, I'll help you down."

"Allow me," Richard said, taking her hand and drawing her to stand. Grasping the gown, he said, "I'll finish that. It's a good idea to blot it up."

Kate stepped into the small enlightened chamber and gasped. Slumped a few yards from the door that led upwards to the garage lay her father.

"Oh no. Why would they shoot him?"

"So, this is your father?"

"Yes." She pulled away from Staffy but he held tight to her hand, saying, "I don't think there's anything we can do for him, Kate. He has multiple gunshot wounds and has lost a lot of blood."

"I can sit by him."

Staffy helped her across the chamber and supported her to sit beside her father.

"I need to go back with Richard. We should check the area to make sure no one who would harm us is out there. I'll make sure Richard returns to be here with you as soon as possible."

"Yes, but first, please call an ambulance; he can't be left here..."

"There's no hope for him, Kate, I'm sorry."

"I don't believe that, Staffy. While there's life, there's hope! I've been declared 'dead,' twice, but here I am. —But, you really must find out if Amma and the others are safe and talk with Richard about helping us get Father up to the garage, please..."