Judging Rubric

The following format is what all stories will be graded upon. Places will be determined in a 100-point system with various sections holding different numerical values. There will be no half points given. This is also our effort to make sure judging is fair to all participants.

At the end of the awards, each participant will be receiving a story review. This is to help give advice, enhance each story, and provide each author with a growing baseline. Even with the rubric itself being disclosed, no participant is to receive their actual score unless determined otherwise.

If you are a participant, and you are sent your score – please message this account immediately.

Grammar (20 points)

-      Spelling

-      Punctuation

-      Sentence Structure

-      Word Usage

This section of the rubric is based on overall grammar of the story. Continued use of improper grammar can have more of an impact on a reader's journey than many authors would consider. Mistakes are common in drafts; however, this is a big section of what judges will be looking for.

Characters (15 points)

-      Development

-      Reader's ability to relate

-      Place in the story

-      Uniqueness

The characters are an essential part of every story. Because of this, judges will be looking closely at the characters of each story they evaluate. This will include your character's development throughout and their overall uniqueness. Also be aware that readers need to be able to relate or connect with a story's characters to some degree.

Originality (25 points)

-      Writing Technique

-      Story Delivery

-      Overall Creativity

Originality in stories is one of the most important aspects, regardless of where or how authors get their ideas. Stories, events, and characters should be shaped in a way that show's an author's creative skills and writing ability. This section judges will look at will also include technique and how well stories are told.

Quality (30 points)

-      General Flow

-      Reader Understanding

-      Keeps Attention

Writing quality can be shown throughout a story; however, this section of what judges will award points for will grade upon the basics. These include how well readers understand a story, and how much what the story tells holds their attention. The flow of each story will also be looked at closely.

Presentation (10 points)

-      Cover and Graphics

-      Story Title

-      Summary / Description

"Don't judge a book by its cover." We all hear this saying throughout our lives, and it's something I disagree with. A cover and the title are the very first things about a story to grab a reader's attention. The summary or description are the next.

Total Score: 0/100

If two participants receive the same score, they will both be named the winner for that place; however, if more than two place the same, steps will be taken to break a tie.