Damage Done

Robin awoke at mid-day. The sun was filtering through the blinds and he could hear birds and traffic. Music to his ears. He was warm and cozy, something he missed and would never take advantage of again. He looked around the room. Starfire sat in a chair to his right, her head in her arms, resting on the bed. Most likely asleep from being up so long with worry. On a table next to her there was a vase full of red and yellow carnations with thick leaves, his signature colors. Next to that was a pan of peach cobbler, golden brown and flaky.

"So you're awake." He heard a deep voice and almost had a heart attack. It was only Bruce. "Did I scare you?"

"A little." he meekly replied.

Bruce sat on his left, legs crossed and reading a book, Jane Eyre of all things. "I told the others to go home and get some rest, now that they know you're alright. But Starfire refused."

"Her people are most resilient." His voice was still groggy, and Bruce got him a glass of water. Robin downed it without another thought. "More please." His stomach growled.

"I believe they said they pumped some food into your stomach right after the surgery. So it should be safe for you to eat." He looked out the door to see it any nurses were coming. The coast was clear. He cut a generous portion from the cobbler and set the plate in front of the boy. Robin drooled.

"I know you're excited, but eat slow."

He hadn't eaten anything in two weeks...scratch that, he hadn't eaten anything nutritional, tasty, fresh, or filling in two weeks. The first forkful was delightful but as he went for the second bite, it fell off his fork. His hands were shaking too much. He set the fork down, disgusted with himself.

"Let me help you with that." Bruce wiped up the dropped dessert and cleaned him up. "Do you need a bib?" he joked.

Robin scowled at him. Bruce got that he was frustrated with himself, but he wasn't going to let him starve.

"I can feed you." Bruce took the fork and plate, but Robin shook his head.

"I know this is embarrassing, and you'd rather have your girlfriend do it," Robin's cheeks lit up like a stoplight. "But I raised you. This won't be the first time I had to feed you, do you remember all the near death experiences you've had?"

"Don't remind me..." He mumbled.

"Open up."

Robin pressed his lips firm.

"Richard Grayson you stubborn turd! Eat before you starve yourself!"

He didn't budge.

"Here comes the train...choo choo!"

Nothing.

"Fine...hey, Starfire's waking up."

"Huh?"

Shove. Robin's body betrayed him as he swallowed without chewing. He choked. He reached for the water, his hands still shaking as he brought it to his lips. Bruce helped him hold it.

"Better?"

He nodded.

Bruce helped him eat his fill, not quite finishing the plate.

"You've been awful quiet. I know it's not like you to talk much anyways, but you've kept your speech to a complete minimal. Is there something you want to tell me?"

Robin looked at his hands and made shaky fists. Bruce watched him carefully. He finally lifted his sad blue eyes to him. "I'm afraid."

"Of what? Slade? We told you--"