Growing

Robin was determined to make a come back. Even though his leg was still healing, he still walked the tower, trying to build up strength. Even though he tried, Star didn't like to see him working himself so hard and would pick him up mid stride. He didn't fight her though. One late night, he walked the halls. His mind was processing and he couldn't sleep. The rhythmic click of his crutches hitting the floor kept him focused. He no longer cared about himself and what he had been through. But instead, he decided to look to the future.What happens next? Do I just resume my role? I can't just jump right back in. Where do I begin?...I guess...at the beginning.

He had an idea and swung his way down to Raven's room and knocked. "Raven, it's Robin."

She opened the door just enough. "Yes?"

"Do you have a bible?"

"Why would I have a bible?"

"Well...you have a lot of books, I just thought there was a possibility..."

"NIV, KJV, or ESV?"

"Uh...ESV?"

"Good choice. It's the most accurate translation while being modern vernacular." She ghosted away and returned and dropped a leather bound book into his hands. "Sorry for the notes in the margins. Goodnight." Then she shut the door.

He smirked. I'll go to the roof, I need some fresh air.

The night air was crisp and cool. He sat cross legged in the moonlight. The thin pages of the book danced in the wind as he flipped through the passages. "Okay...God...um...I don't know how to do this stuff...but I'm going to trust in you, and see how this goes. Show me what you want me to learn."

He flipped the pages through his fingers and landed on a random passage and began to read. " 'But let me do this one thing: let me go up and roam in the hills and weep with my friends for two months, because I will die a virgin.' " He paused a moment. "Maybe I didn't turn to the right page..."

He flipped again. " 'Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance will grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.' " He sighed. "Right. Well..."

He flipped to another passage. " 'Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us'...hmm."

Again, he flipped through the pages. " 'No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it'... 'Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer'... 'I can do all things through him who strengthens me'..." With every verse he became more and more encouraged. The words consumed him, and soon he was lost of the world.

"Robin?" A sweet voice called to him.

He turned around, momentarily remembering where he was. "Oh, hey Star."

"What are you doing up here? Why are you not sleeping?"

"I was reading. I have a lot on my mind."

"You seem to be very consumed in your thoughts lately."

He simpered, "Believe me, if I could stop thinking, I would. But reading this has helped."

"What is that?"