Chapter 13

Unknown Pov
"It's almost lunch time, and I think you need to teach your little best friend a lesson, I mean it's about time" a male voice says.

"Right. Let me put it into action" a very familiar voice replies.

[Present Time]:

That's what I heard, and I know it's not much to stand on and accuse anyone. But that voice was easily recognisable as that of McKenzie. I can tell the owner of that voice in my sleep! Everyone knows she's my bestfriend, the two of us are literally inseparable. Although now, I'm starting to think I'm the only one who thought genuinely of this friendship. And if she's planning on teaching her bestfriend- which is me - a lesson, what lesson? And why? And how?

I've been in more compromising, difficult and painful situations but trust me when I say I don't know what to do about this one. What I heard has left me paralyzed and dazed. And there's only one thing I can think of.

The benefit of the doubt.

I always believe in "Allowing people to explain themselves". It's one of my principles because I don't fancy jumping into conclusions. And that can help in this situation. Maybe if I give Kenzie the chance, she could explain and tell me I heard wrong? Right?

Yes. I'm going to give those two the benefit of the doubt. I'm going to pretend as if I heard wrong, nothing has been planned and nothing will happen.

So with that decision made, I head to the cafeteria for lunch, expecting McKenzie to be sitting at our usual table like she usually does, but she's absent. And afterall, from what I heard, she's busy.

I head to our table holding a bowl of fries and a slice of pizza. I pay for the strawberry and banana smoothie blended with ice cubes. Mhm, I've been craving for this.

I take a seat and start digging in. I moan in pleasure when I take a slice of my pizza. It is known that highschool food can be quite greasy, but the food here in this cafeteria is good. No doubt.

I glance around, hoping to see McKenzie somewhere, around, just somewhere that I'll spot her and finally take a breath of relief, that she's not doing anything, but I come up empty handed, not even catching a single sight of her. Just when I'm about to check the doors leading to the cafeteria, I hear her voice.

Finally!

But that was when I realised that this particular voice, though belonging to my bestfriend, sounded distant and.... bitter. Just like what I heard not long ago.

Since she's a bit melodramatic and she's part of the school's news council, I guess it's a bit of acting for what she's about to do.

"Hello guys, as you know, when you hear McKenzie Lara Brookes talking, you know is drama, drama, drama and hopefully more laughter." she pauses, sighing heavily into the speakers "But unfortunately this isn't a laughing matter since it's about our very own Ronald Wilkerson" she says and I freeze.

What will she have to say about someone who's probably dead to the whole school?

And to me, actually dead.

"As we all know, we were on our way to our usual first classes when we were hit by the news that he was dead" she says

Can someone please tell her to stop talking?

I brush away with my index finger the tears that have managed to slip from my eyes.

"That was quite a surprise and it is up till now even, but that's why I'm here, to clear your confusion, I'm here to tell you why you shouldn't be surprised anymore" she continues. I clench my teeth.

"Because our light to the whole situation is called-

Don't you dare mention my name McKenzie!

"Dakota McCann" she says, venomously

"She killed him because according to her, if she didn't have him, no one else will!" She ends.

What. The. Hell?