Two

—

"Are you sure this is a good idea, Gar?" Gemma asked for the third time, still hesitant to be leaving the house. She gazed down to make sure that her wings that she had tucked in weren't peaking through the long coat that hung to her ankles. The back of the coat was lumpy and odd looking, as if she had some type of deformity. Well, to be fair, she did. Just not the type people would expect.

Garfield looked at her, pale cheeks curved up in a smile as he nudged her side,"Yes! How long has it been since you've been out of that house?"

"I go outside nearly every day-"

"You know what I mean, Gemma," he responded. "You haven't been able to go anywhere since the doc found you, don't you feel cooped up, or bored?" Gemma hesitates, knowing that he was right. Before the crash, she was always doing something. Either with friends, her parents, or at school. Now, the only time she left the house was to go sit on the roof, no matter how cold it was outside.

She huffed, kicking at the snow as she walked,"Okay, fine, you're right. I still don't think this is a good idea, what if someone sees my wings? What if doc finds out? He'll get so angry."

Gar shrugs,"If he does find out, I'll take the blame. I'll tell him I bribed you with a new book. As for someone seeing your wings, we will tell them they're on drugs and run away." Gemma snorted, and the green haired boy gave her a cheeky smile as they walked up to the door of the arcade and roller rink.
He gestured for her to go inside first after opening the door, causing her to roll her eyes. Gemma walked past him, and into the warm building that smelled of cheap food, sweaty kids, and a slight hint of dirt. He followed her in, a splitting grin on his cheeks as he grabbed her arm and went straight for one of his favorite games.

It wasn't long before he'd dragged her all around the arcade, playing nearly every single game except for the ones that were completely boring, in his own words. She was gazing out at the roller rink, secretly wishing she was out there. She went a few times with her friends, she even had a birthday party at a roller rink in her home town once. It wasn't long before Gar noticed she wasn't paying attention to the game as her character was currently being killed by the aliens they were supposed to be shooting. He glanced over at her for a moment, nudging her side,"Do you want to skate?"

Gemma shrugged, looking at him with a tiny smile "Yeah, a little bit." He reached a hand into his pocket, forgetting about the aliens for a moment, and brought out a five dollar bill. "Go skate, I'll get us some milkshakes after this game."

"Strawberry?" She grinned, backing away. "Of course," Garfield nodded, smiling back at her,"don't fall!"

Gemma asked for the skates in her size, and quickly laced them up. She wobbled a few times, but got the hang of it after a few tries. Her grin didn't leave her face as she followed the other people around the rink, giggling to herself when she briefly lost her balance and nearly fell. A line of sweat quickly built across her forehead, more than likely due to the fact that she was wearing a large coat, but she didn't care. This was the most fun she'd had in months.

After multiple trips around the rink she realized that she was thirsty, remembering that Gar was getting them milkshakes, and so she slowed down and grabbed onto the wall of the rink so that she could look for him. There wasn't too many people in the building, so it was quite easy to spot the green haired boy. Only, he wasn't alone like she expected. He was talking to a girl at a pinball machine, a sweet smile on his face as he gestured to her hair as if complimenting it.

A feeling of hurt hit her stomach, but Gemma didn't know exactly why. She tried to ignore it, and looped back around so that she could exit the rink and head his way. She skated toward them as best as she could on the short carpet. "Multiball!" Gemma heard them both cheer as she got closer, and she fought the urge to roll her eyes. Then she realized that was stupid, this girl hadn't done anything wrong. She was just jealous because her only friend at the moment was talking to someone else and that wasn't right.

"Hey, Gar, who's this?" She asked as she got closer, standing next to Gar. He looked at Gemma, smiling at her as he handed her the strawberry shake he'd gotten for her. She took it with a thankful smile, before looking back at the dark purple haired girl.

"I'm Rachel," the girl shyly spoke, giving Gemma a tiny smile. "My names Gemma, it's nice to meet you," she smiled, holding out a hand for her to shake, remembering to be polite just like her parents always taught her. They shook hands but that was as far as the meeting went, as a man called Rachel's name.

The three all looked over at him, confusion on their faces. Gemma notices a woman in a fur coat behind him, hot pink curls on her head. "Hey, come on, we're going," he said, gesturing for her to come with him. Gar and Gemma assumed they knew each other, because Rachels' shoulders fell and she spat out,"What are you doing here?"

The mans eyebrows furrowed even deeper, and Gemma wondered why he was so stressed out. He sighed in slight defeat,"Now's not the time, okay?"

"Why are you here?" Rachel asked, taking a step away from the pinball machine. Gemma glances at Gar, and he did the same, curiosity in their eyes. "Can we talk about this somewhere else?" The man asked,"Let's go." Rachel huffed, giving the two behind her a quick look of annoyance before following the man and pink haired woman next to him out of the building.

Gemma looked back up at Gar, immediately noticing the fallen look on his face. She frowned for a moment, jealousy coursing through her veins once again. She shook it off, faked a smile and nudged his arm softly,"Hey, come on, want to go shoot some aliens?"

Gar looked down at her, giving a small smile,"Is that even a question? Of course I wanna shoot some aliens."

AUTHORS NOTE

Hi guys, I just wanna say thank you for all of the reads and votes! I really appreciate it :) I'm so sorry it took me so long to update, I just get in these funks sometimes and don't feel like writing. But, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please let me know your thoughts, comments really boost my confidence as a writer and it would mean a lot to hear from you all.