Five

"Chief," Gar exclaimed, equally as surprised as everyone else in the room

"Chief," Gar exclaimed, equally as surprised as everyone else in the room. He wasn't supposed to be back until tomorrow. "Uh, I can explain.."

"Later," the Chief spoke,"I have a new patient."

Gemma stood alongside everyone else, including a confused Rachel, and hurried down to the room which the Chief had transformed into a workspace for his patients. A young woman was laying on the operating table, frost covering her body.

The monitor showing her vitals was beeping wildly as Cliff asked who the young woman laying unconscious was.

"Her name is Shyleen Lao," he told them, and began barking orders at the group as they put gloves on. Gemma tied a rubber band around her arm and cleaned off an area so that Rita could place an IV in, the woman asking,"What happened to her?"

"A protest she organized turned violent. A nearby tanker exploded, she was engulfed in liquid nitrogen. The doctors treating her said there was nothing they could do. But she's a good soul, one worth saving."

Gemma wondered what consequences she'd have to suffer through if she did survive.

"Poor thing," Rita frowned as the Chief injected his serum into her IV. "This serum should help stabilize her body temperature." Gemma watched as the machine began beeping rapidly, and the frost covering her body seemed to grow. "What the fuck?" Larry muttered in confusion, the group all noticing how her body was doing the opposite of what Chief said it would do.

"Chief?" Larry spoke, concern in his tone.

"What's happening?" Gar questioned as the young woman began gasping and twitching from what one could only assume was pain. He shared a glance with Gemma, who looked just as worried as he did.

"Her body is reacting to my serum," Chief stated. Gemma shivered, wrapping her wings around herself to provide some warmth, muttering,"It's freezing in here."

"She is altering the temperature around us, we need to keep her warm. Blankets!" As Gar and Gemma rushes off to find blankets, the woman's eyes opened and she began speaking in a language Gemma didn't understand, however it was clear she was afraid and confused.

"Hey, uh, does anyone speak whatever that is?" Larry asked as Gemma covered her moving body with a blanket, Gar doing the same. She was trying to get up from the table, the entire group having to hold her down so she couldn't flee. Gemma felt horrible, she knew that she was terrified and she knew that holding her down wasn't going to help.

"It's gonna be okay, you just have to take a deep breath and let us help, alright?" Gemma spoke, voice strained as she fought to keep the crying girl down. Suddenly, Rachel was next to her and placing a hand on the fighting girls arm, eyes now entirely black. The blackness extended around her eyes, almost looking like a fog, and black veins went to the tops of her cheeks.