Three

"What was that?"

"What was that?"

Garfields brows furrowed for a moment as he looked up from the small fire they'd built, and he shrugged. "Sounded like some type of explosion, I dunno."

Gemma hesitates,"Should I.. fly up and check it out? What if something happened at the house?" Gar thought for a moment, before nodding. She shrugged off the large trench coat, letting it fall to the dirty wooden floors as she walked out of the abandoned cabin, Gar following. She stretched her wings out, cramped from being folded for so long. They fluttered for a few moments and soon she found her feet floating, and before she knew it she was slightly above the tree lines.

Gar stared up at her in fascination, the hidden sun showing itself for just a few moments and falling just right on her body. It was almost as if she were glowing. "Looks like something happened at the church-" Then, a gunshot rung out and a bullet grazed her left wing. Gemma gasped, becoming distracted for a moment, causing her wings to still. She began to fall, and Gar watched in horror, shouting,"Gemma!"

She quickly came back to her senses, flying to a tree and sitting on a large branch as she breathed heavily. "I'm okay!" She shouted down to him, bringing her wing close to her so she could examine it. Blood coated a small area of her feathers, and she grimaced. Gemma knew it was a bad idea to leave the house.

"Come on, let's get back inside."

She stretched out her wings once again, ignoring the sting from doing so, and somewhat gracefully dropped down from the tree. Gar grabbed her hand and pulled her towards the cabin, examining her once they'd shut the door. A drop of blood hit the wood, and his eyes fell to the bloodied spot on the edge of her wing. His eyes filled with a mix of anger and worry. His nostrils flared, and he muttered,"you're hurt." Gemma's heart fluttered at his worry, and she placed a hand on his arm. "It's okay, just a scratch," she assured him. He wasn't so convinced, telling her,"Stay here, I'll be back."

"Wait, where are you going?" She questions in confusion, only to be ignored as he nearly slammed the door shut. Gemma huffed and sat on the ground, pulling the large coat back around her body. "That was rude."

Gemma didn't know how much time passed, but the small fire had started to die down so she stood to gather the remaining twigs they'd gathered when they first found the place. Gar had been here before, but seeing as she hadn't left the mansion since she'd arrived, she hadn't. Gar left quite often, as much as he could anyway. He hated being cooped up in the place, no matter how many video games or old movies he had in the room he'd made his own. She heard voices as she nudged the fire with a stick, back straightening as the door opened. There was Gar.. and Rachel, the girl from the arcade.

Gemma looked at them both in confusion,"Uh, hi?"

Rachel lifted her hand slightly in a wave, an awkward smile on her face as she momentarily looked at Gar so he could explain. Gar held up a finger, silently telling the girl to wait, before walking over to Gemma and pulling her further away. "Rachel needs a place to stay, I'm bringing her back with us," he stated quietly. Gemmas eyes widened, not thinking that was such a good idea. "You're sweet, but in what world would it be okay to bring a regular human to a house filled with-"