chapter 5

When we got to the livingroom, he shut the door and pulled me into his arms. "I'm here for you sweetheart!"

That's all it took. I started talking about how hurt and confused that I am. Paxton listens without interrupting. "I guess the first thing I can do is to open the safe. Maybe it holds an answer."

"That sounds like a good start. Do you want me to leave while you do it?"

"No. I want you by my side." He nodded. I went to the safe and opened it. There were pictures of my childhood. My birth certificate and other official papers. There was nothing that anyone would have to harass me for. Until I noticed a wooden box in the far left back corner. I got it and pulled it onto my lap. When I opened it, there was a letter with daddy's writing on it. I read it.

My sweet little angel,
If you're reading this, I'm dead. I want you to know that I love you so much. I have sacrificed a lot for you. And I've never had a single regret for any of it. You are my life.

Sweet angel, your mother left us for another man. She tried to take you away from me. But I refused to let her. I had heard that she had another family which she had abandoned. Whether that is true or not, I have no idea. But I have heard rumors and even know a man with your two brothers. She abandoned them too. I would never allow her to hurt you that way.

She's been snooping around lately. For some reason she has found out that I inherited a life insurance policy for my sister, Lydia, when she passed away.

I didn't put the money in the bank. For some reason, I think that she would somehow get her hands on it. So I have put it in this box. Only you and I know the combination for the lock. It makes me feel like it is safer that way.

I'm hoping and praying, that you are safe, healthy, and happy. I also hope and pray that you meet a man who can and will love you, respect you, and protect you. You deserve the best of everything in life. Hopefully your brothers will be able to meet up with you. I don't like the idea of you being alone. You deserve the very best in life!

So, sweet Sara, take the money and do what you need and want. Just always and forever know, that I love you to the end of time. Be at peace sweet Sara!

I love you,
Love always,
Daddy

I held the letter to my heart and cried for the loss of my daddy. He was the only person to show me love and respect. Until I met Paxton and my brothers. "Oh daddy, I miss you so damn much!"

Paxton pulls me onto his lap and holds me as I cry. "I've got you sweetheart. Just let it all out."

"Daddy loved me. I just miss him so much. He's the only one to ever love me. Don't I deserve to be happy? Why do people find it so fuckin hard to love me?"

"Listen to me little girl. It is easy to love you. I should know, because I love you. I have since you stood up to me in front of the jukebox. Your brothers love you. Hell, half the men in the club love you. They're just smart enough to keep their distance."

I was staring at him in shock. "I love you too Paxton. That's why I decided to take a beating instead of embarrassing you in front of everyone. I saw that you were different. More special to me. I couldn't hurt you like that."

Paxton kissed me tenderly, I almost cried again. He pulled back. "What do you want to do with your mother?"

I thought about it for a minute. "I need to find out what she wants. If she's in need of money and knows about this money, then I have to convince her that I don't have it."