Chapter 7: Race Towards Danger

As days gone by turned into weeks, Dexas nor Eli could recall the last time they'd felt this level of happiness. When they weren't fighting evil with the rest of the gang, or spending time with them, the pair would continue to make new memories. Today they'd decided to challenge each other in a friendly race, with Dexas ground-bound rather than be allowed to fly on Prisma.
"You know Eli, with or without wings I'm still going to smoke you." Dexas playfully boasted, sitting on her mecha next to Eli behind the starting point.
"You think so, huh? Well hang on to your seat because I'm going to show you what a Shane can really do." He smirked with his gaze staring out into the distance eagerly. She lightly scoffed,
"You Shanes think you're all that," The girl mocked, "but I'm about to show you what a Braxton can do." She hunched down closer to Prisma's neck.
"If you two are finished, we have a race to start." Trixie commented after peaking her head up from behind her camera. Kord spoke up with a smile,
"You know them, Trix. Gotta have the playful banter."
"Banter or no banter, I'm ready when you two are." Junjie raised his right hand high in preparation.
"Indeed, for Pronto is quite eager to carry out the prestigious honor of declaring the winner!" Their short and prideful friend added.
"You'd better hope Lucky really is lucky. You need all the luck you can get." Dexas-Taryn made certain she got one last comment in.
"Who needs luck when I've got you?" Eli smiled to himself, noticing her attention on him out of the corner of his eye. Next thing they knew, Junjie had begun to initiate their race,
"Alright, racers. On your mark, get set, go!" He swung his hand down as the mechas and their riders ran past on either side.
"That's what I'm talking about dudes! Go go go!" Kord cheered them on while the rest of the gang climbed upon their own mechas to follow.

For much of the way, Eli and Dexas remained neck and neck.
"Looks like Prisma rivals Lucky! Now isn't that right, Eli Shane?" Dexas spoke in a sweet and playful tone.
"Do you always talk during a race?" He shouted in return, happily returning more teasing comments.
"Only to get in your head!"
"Get in my head? I haven't been able to get you out since...well you know." He smiled nervously to himself.
"Since what, Eli?" She pretended to be clueless.
"You know!" Eli insisted with a nervous chuckle.
"No, I don't think I do. Can't you tell me?" Dexas sweetly begged.
"I'm not falling for your little act, Texas. I know you know what I mean." Despite his words, Eli didn't become angered. He raced between two large boulders, only to see Prisma leaping overhead to take the lead.
"What's the matter? Too chicken to say it out loud? I thought a Shane was suppose to be brave-"
"Since we first kissed!" Eli shouted while frantically trying to make a quick turnaround, the sudden appearance of Dr. Blakk sending a jolt through his heart. Without warning he fired a ghoul slug at Eli's mechabeast, knocking it straight out from underneath his body. During this, Dexas and Prisma had seemingly vanished. As the young Shane laid on the ground groaning, Dr. Blakk casually walked closer,
"Well well, how sweet. Seems the latest Shane says he'd shared his first kiss. What a pity your father isn't around to enjoy such a momentous time in your life. Lucky for you, I've returned just in time."