Chapter 16: Strength Out of Adversity

Patiently, the friends simply sat silently in Dexas' hospital room. While waiting for test results, she was able to catch up on her sleep. Pronto grumbled,
"All this waiting is making Pronto extremely hungry!"
"This feels as agonizing as it did when she was knocked unconscious.." Eli spoke up softly, looking at the ground with fingers locked together on top of his head.
"At least she's able to get some shut eye." Trixie unintentionally yawned and Eli nodded,
"I just have so many questions about all this."
"Hopefully I can at least answer some of them." The doctor announced his presence as a nurse trailed in behind, immediately bringing Eli to his feet.
"There is something in her bloodstream, some sort of infection I've never seen before. We've run many tests, and have traced its start to the scar on her neck." He gestured to the obvious zigzag-like mark on the left side.
"Ah yes, that would be my handy work." A familiar voice revealed an unwanted source entering the room, causing Burpy to seemingly growl.
"Who invited this jerk?" Kord complained, showing a face of disgust.
"No one has to invite me. I go where I please." Dr. Blakk replied.
"What have you done to Dexas-Taryn." Junjie scowled with a glare.
"Made her better, of course. Just like I've done to all my slugs." He replied with pride.
"Eli?" Dexas suddenly spoke in a weak voice, grumbling as she opened her eye. Eli Shane went to her bedside just as soon as she noticed Dr. Blakk.
"What are you doing here!?" She shouted with hostility.
"I've come to see how my little pet is doing, now that you have a new beastly side. When I hit you with my ghouled slug, the serum it contained injected itself into your body. All it needed was a bit of time to take affect. Though not contagious, it affects everyone else regardless."
"Why did you do this to me?" Dexas' tone was full of sorrow.
"To make clear of a certain message. If you don't return your loyalty to me, and me alone, you will become a monster mecha indefinitely." Dr. Blakk answered.
"I'd prefer to be like this forever than to be your meaningless unappreciated lowdown lowlife good-for-nothing imbecile that does nothing but your vile bidding!" Dexas snapped, lunging for him but was held back by Kord and Eli as her friends were baffled by her aggressive actions. Dr. Blakk simply chuckles softly,
"That would be a side effect of your monster within. You'd better watch that new short temper of yours, young lady."
"You'd better watch your mouth before I rip it off myself!" Dexas replied just as intensely again.
"You needn't strain your heart through anger, the beast is already doing that for you. Overtime it will consume you, till there's nothing left. But if you were to work for only me, I would consider gradually reversing the ill affects."
"Give us the cure Dr. Blakk. Now!" Eli demanded.
"Even if there was one, why would I give it to you?" Dr. Blakk asked in a fake tone of kindness.
"Wait, no cure? Did you just say there's no cure?" Trixie voiced.
"No kind whatsoever?" Junjie spoke up as well.
"Indeed, for why in the world would I make a temporary ailment when I want permanent loyalty?"
"Make one."
"I don't have to take orders from the likes of you, Shane." Dr. Blakk glared.
"Then Dexas doesn't have to take orders from you. If she's going to stay this way forever, she might as well stay like this with those who actually care about her."
"Very well, Eli Shane. But no one better come running to me for any help whatsoever." The villain stated while turning around, leaving the room calmly with some parting words,
"You may be able to push me away, but the beast will always haunt you." Dr. Blakk disappeared out of sight, his words left to linger in their minds.
"I'm sorry, guys. I should've never tried pulling off a double life. I thought I could do it, but instead I've endangered you all." Dexas sighed, glaring off to the side angrily.
"We know that is the opposite of your intentions, but just because you're a potential threat doesn't mean we don't care about you anymore." Junjie commented.
"Junjie's right. And from where I see it, you should embrace your inner beast. You can learn to control it, and not let it win." Kord added with a half smile of encouragement.
"I guess you're right..." Dexas began violently coughing, struggling to even breathe as her hand gestured vigorously for Eli to hand her the cup of water nearby. As her heart pounded she quickly gulped down every drop, then letting her head slam back against the pillow.
"That was weird." She gasped, "My voice..w-what's wrong with my voice?!" Dexas started to panic at the sound of her tone having a robotic-type backbone, if you will. Her breathing escalated along with her heartbeat, looking around at everyone with a wide eye.
"Dexas, just breathe..." Eli put a hand on her shoulder worriedly.
"Eli..what is this?!" The more she talked, the more afraid she seemed to become of her own voice.
"Hey it's not that bad. Right gang?" He glanced at them with a hopeful tone.
"Why of course! No big deal at all!" Pronto declared with a nervous smile.
"I presume that's another side affect of her mecha beast side," The doctor commented, disappointed Dexas-Taryn seemed to be gaining more issues than treatments.
"I'm also sorry to say that the serum has already spread rapidly throughout her body. It's ingredients are unknown to us, and would take far too long to study and create a working cure in time for it to even have a chance at reversing the ailment. Since there is no more we can do, you will be discharged before this afternoon. I'm very sorry everyone." The doctor and nurse left the room with heavy hearts. Everyone still in the room frowned as they took in everything the doctor said.
"We'll get through this Dexas, somehow. There's always hope." Eli broke the silent sadness in the air.
"I'm a freak, aren't I.."
"Are you kidding me? You're no freak. Besides, Pronto has that covered already." Trixie teased with a little smirked.
"I swear, if I ever get my hands on Blakk..." Dexas seemingly growled, hands gripping the bedsheets like claws.
"That's right, because he's going to regret making you even stronger! You shall conquer this beast with help of the mighty Pronto, and soon Dr. Blakk will answer for his crimes!" Pronto tried changing the mood of the conversation.
"I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks, Pronto." She smiled a bit, slowly starting to calm down.
"Anything to cheer up the lucky lady of Eli Shane! Plus, I do not wish to get on your bad side, especially now that you're exceptionally more aggressive!" He nervously chuckled.
"That reminds me." Kord smirked while looking at Eli, "Didn't a certain someone say a certain word last night?"
"Tease me all you want, but I meant what I said." He responded following a playful roll of his eyes.
"Even though I'm stuck like this now?" Dexas questioned.
"Beast or no beast, you're still Texas to me." Eli flinched when she grew an angry expression,
"Guess I have to think twice before calling you that now." He grinned nervously. Dexas rolled her eye with a playful smirk,
"Just shut up and kiss me."
"What?" Eli chuckles a bit, having been caught off guard, "Here? Now?"
"You too chicken, bro?" Kord challenged.
"No, you're missing my point-"
"Come on, Eli. You can't deny a girl what she wants." Trixie folded her arms confidently as Eli glanced from her and back to Dexas. She smiled sweetly to him, patiently waiting in her hospital bed. Caving in, he leans over and gives her a quick peck on the lips.
"I thought you had gotten over the embarrassment by now.." Dexas could feel her heart sink slowly. Feeling guilt swell up, Eli knew she had a point. This time he would do better, meeting her lips and softly lingering with sincerity. It wasn't until they both pulled away that it finally stopped.
"This is like a real life twist on Beauty and the Beast."  Dexas giggled.
"Yeah, but I'm just a knight or something." Eli released a soft chuckle. She shakes her head,
"You're not just any knight. You're my knight in shining Shane gear." She teased with a lighthearted smile.
"Uh guys, looks like our little chase last night caught some attention." Trixie faces her tablet towards everyone to show them a short video of the monster mecha running by. "Talk is already starting to spread of a riderless rogue mecha beast on the hunt in SlugTerra."
"That's gotta be how Blakk found out about Dexas' transformation. It was no coincidence he shows up right after the first occurrence." Eli concluded as his right hand reached his chin. "We need to keep this on the down-low as much as possible. Don't want to cause any widespread panic."
~~~~~~~
Author's Note:
To get an idea of what I am talking about in regards to Dexas' new techno-sounding voice, please listen to the beginning of the song This is Gospel by Panic! At The Disco
:)