Sacrifice -3-

-3-

Just like Aaron promised, I woke up and the pain had disappeared. I look around the room and I spot Skyler sitting on my bed. A moment later, Aaron comes through my bed room door and sits on the other side of my bed. 

I realize everything looks different, more clear. I notice little details I didn’t before. I can smell vanilla and cinnamon in my room. Why have I never smelt it before?

“You’re confused,” Skyler notes. 

“Of course she’s confused, Skyler. She watched her niece turn into a wolf and then collapses in the forest after helping her. I have my own questions for her. Why did you leave the den when I told you to stay?”

“Anna was my responsibility, if she was lost while Elena and Charlie were out it would end up being my fault,” I reply.

“None of this would have- never mind.” 

“Just tell her, Aaron. Before I do,” Skyler shakes her head making her dark curls bounce.

“When human blood mixes with werewolf blood... well you experienced it-”

“What? Am I a...”

“Werewolf? Yes.” Skyler finishes for me. 

“Wait! If Anna is a... that means all of you are... werewolves?” I test the word out, but it sounds incorrect. This really can’t be happening. This is no fairy tale. 

“Yes, Anastasia,” Aaron answers. “We had been trying to get her to become a wolf for weeks. When you are a born werewolf you transform as a toddler, and develop a few ‘symptoms’. It was an accident that you witnessed it-”

“So were you guys never going to tell me?” I ask slightly offended.

“Well... it is more of a need to know situation. The castle help and guards don’t know. Your parents don’t even know, it doesn’t change much. And you are a wolf now,” Skyler shrugs. 

I sigh, “So what do I need to know about being a big bad wolf?” 

“You have heightened senses and are immortal. You can die, but you won’t age. Born werewolves age until 20 years,” She says.

“How do I die?” 

“Just like vampires, a stake through our hearts will kill us,” Aaron shrugs. 

“Hold the phone! Vampires? But-”

“Anastasia, you are a werewolf, tell me if we exist what else could?” Aaron asks slowly as if I am stupid.

“Are we enemies with them?” 

“Oh no! We are very peaceful. Unless there is a special situation, we do not hate anyone, even vampires,” Skyler answers. 

“And the full moon?” 

“We can change on our own will. The full moon only heightens our senses even more. We are at our weakest at the new moon. For the most part we are just like humans who can shift into wolves on command, have heightened senses and don’t die as easily.” 

“What else?” 

“Not much, I’ll let Aaron explain anything else. I have to go for a dress fitting. Bye!” Skyler waltz out of the room. 

“Let’s go in the woods,” Aaron suggests getting of the bed. 

“Why?” 

“I haven’t been outside since I found you. I knew you would be alright, but there are always those few people who don’t make it,” He opens the door for me. 

I lead the way to the back yard, thinking of any questions I have. Most of them were answered, but there are still a few lingering questions. We follow the trail and find a log to sit not too far into the forest.

We sit in silence for a few moments before I hear Aaron’s voice. I look at him, but his lips aren’t moving. How do I explain any of this? Anastasia,you should know my family rules over werewolves just like with humans, and I have to marry some princess

“Um... Aaron why do you have to marry ‘some princess’?” 

“Crap,” He mutters under his breathe. 

“What?”

“You learned to do that much quicker than expected.”

“Do what?” 

“Read minds. You see werewolves can read other wolves minds on command, but we always can hear humans thoughts because we aren’t the same...”

“I wasn’t trying to. Maybe you were thinking too loud?” 

Aaron chuckles, “It doesn’t quite work like that. I suppose you know my family is royalty in the werewolf world as well?” 

“Does that mean Elena and Charlie are king and queen?” 

“That’s why I have to marry, incase something happens to them. Skyler already announced she didn’t want to control the throne so by default I am next in line,” He shrugs. 

“Have you decided yet?” 

“On?”

“‘Some princess?’” 

“No,” He frowns. “I don’t want to either. It was pure luck that Charlie and Elena met. They had an arranged marriage, as you can probably recall. My parents are letting me choose my wife, but I’m only 20 years old, I don’t need to marry now.” 

“I understand. I don’t know what I’d do if I had to marry someone. Do you have a certain amount of time?”

“I’m not sure, but knowing my parents, I probably will.” 

“They seem nice,” I defend.

“I meant that they listen to the council - it’s like a jury of werewolves. And if they think I need a bride they have to listen,” He explains. 

“So what are you going to do?” 

Aaron sighs, his eyes look more green from the vegetation surrounding us, “I’m not sure.”

It’s my turn to sigh. He has to marry a princess. I’m not a princess. I’m just an average girl - now a werewolf. I suppose I do have feelings for Aaron, but I’m not going to make him love me if he really doesn’t. Maybe the fates don’t want us together. That’s fine. I’ll move on. How can I? I’m a werewolf now! I don’t know any werewolf men! 

“Are you okay?” Aaron asks. 

“Why?” 

“Well you are thinking about going on an adventure to find other werewolves and I’m curious as to why.” 

“Can you not read my mind?”

“Why not?”

“I have too much information to deal with right now,” I lied. Well it is mostly true. 

“Alright.” 

“I’m going to my room, I need to be alone,” I get up leaving Aaron in the forest. I don’t need him knowing that I’m jealous. Why can’t I like normal boys? Why does Aaron have to be a werewolf prince?