Sacrifice -5-

-5-

The following week was surprising peaceful. I spent most of my time with Aaron, but I also when out back for archery with Skyler and the others. Also, Elena, Anna, and I went out to get Anna clothes for Autumn. 

I woke up Saturday morning, I felt a chill go down my spine. Not like it was cold, but like something was wrong. I brushed my hair, put on a gray sweatshirt over my tank top and walked downstair to the parlor. I notice a group of disgruntled men talking to Aaron, more like arguing. 

“You need to find...” “There is only so much time before...” “If you can’t find a bride we will...” The men echoed and an overwhelmed Aaron tried to keep up and reply to everyone. 

His emerald eyes focus on me and he sends me a pleading look. 

“Is there something I can help you gentlemen with?” I ask. 

“We are the court. And you are, sweetie?” A man with shaggy dark hair and huge brown eyes asks. 

“I’m Anastasia.” 

“Well, Anastasia, this matter doesn’t pertain to you,” Another man speaks up. 

“Why not make her his-” 

“No, no. Look at her,” The man with the dark hair interrupts. “I’m Ryan.” 

“Ryan-” Aaron says in a warning tone. 

“Gentlemen, help Aaron decide on his bride,” Ryan orders. 

He pulls me down a corridor and I struggle to escape his tight grip, “Let me go! I don’t even know you!”

“But you will,” He smirks. He presses me against he wall and his cool breath tickles my neck. 

“Oh my... AARON!” I scream. Ryan roughly forces his lips on my to shut me up and I am pinned to the wall trying to kick him away from him. “Stop! Stop!” My words are muffled. 

“Ryan, stop kissing her right now!” Aaron orders.

Ryan pulls away and faces Aaron, “Why do you have to spoil the fun? She’s just a housemaid.” 

“Housemaid? Try my fiancee.” 

Ryan looks at me and I nod, but then my eyes widen. “Wait-” 

“What?” Ryan and the rest of the council look shocked. 

“I was going to ask her, but you all interrupted me,” Aaron gives the men a pointed look. “Anastasia Roberts, will you marry me?” 

“I don’t know what to say...” I gasp, but the back of my mind knows this is just to get Ryan to leave me alone. I can tell from his face he isn’t serious, living with him for four years I have learned he never smiles when being completely serious. 

“You could say ‘yes’?” He suggests.

“Yes!” I say. 

He stands up and shocks me by pressing his lips to mine, not like Ryan. The kiss is soft and gentle, it only last a few seconds, but it stirs something with in me. I don’t know what it is, but I feel like I can’t let anyone take him from me. Even though he isn’t being serious, I feel like... I’m not sure what it is. Should I ask Skyler when the men leave?

“Well this is a huge surprise to all of us, right men?” Ryan is the first to break the long silence. 

The men nod in agreement. 

“I suppose out business is done, we’ll be expecting a wedding invitation.” They leave, but Aaron and I don’t move for a few more minutes. 

I step out of Aaron’s embrace and give him a sharp look, “What was that?”

“I asked you to-”

“You didn’t have to lie to them!” 

“But-”

“Look, Ryan seems like a pig, and I could have stopped him-”

“Because you did such a great job at doing that-”

“Hey!” I interrupt. “I don’t know if there are any rules against hurting council men.” 

“It’s forbidden,” He confirms. 

“Well there you go, I didn’t want to kill him because that might bring trouble for all of you. But you said it yourself, you are supposed to marry a princess, I’m an average girl.” 

“My parents were making me meet them, I don’t have to marry a princess,” He corrects. 

“Either way, you shouldn’t have done that.”

“Why not?” 

“Well they expect there to be a wedding!” 

“So?” 

“That means you can never marry the person you actually love.” 

“What?” 

“You only asked me to marry you to get the council off your back. I’m not offended, but you have just decided to waste your life with me. I can’t. It isn’t a funny joke, Aaron,” I run upstairs and knock on Skyler’s door. 

“Hey,” She grins. “How’s going?” 

“Terrible,” I sigh sitting next her on her bed. 

She puts her laptop on her nightstand and looks at me, “Why?” 

“The council men came over and one of them trying to seduce me so to stop him Aaron proposed to me and now they are expecting a wedding.” 

“This is great!” 

“No!” I ignore the nagging part of my brain that reminds me how amazing it felt when he kissed me. “He is throwing his life away on me! He shouldn’t be with an average girl like me!” 

“What?” 

“I think he did it as some sick joke.”

“Anastasia, I don’t think he would-” 

“He kissed me too.” 

“And?” 

“That’s why am I bothered by this. I don’t know what I-”

“Imprinting,” She replies simply. 

“What is that?” 

“Werewolves have mates - other werewolves. They are soul mates. Once an act of affection is done it is hard for the other to-”

“No, I couldn’t have. I ruined his life!” 

“No - it is a natural think you can’t contr-” 

“Don’t try to make me feel better. I can’t believe it,” I sigh.

“Seriously, you can’t control it.” 

“But I am so... average.” 

“No you are not!” 

“I am,” I reply stubbornly. “I’ll see you sometime.” 

I rush to my room on the other side of the hallway and lock the door to prevent anyone from interrupting my solitude. I can’t face anyone right now. Not Aaron or Skyler. Anna. Elena or Charlie. Makeena or Vincent. Not even my own parents. 

Maybe I could die in here and the world would be right.