Chapter 5: The Market

Port Kibo, Minami

"Rubi, Mimi, wake up."

"Hmmm?" Rubi mumbled. She shifted a little and an unwelcome twinge of pain jerked through her stomach. She twitched a little, pushing on her abdomen. An ugly ache burned in the small of her back in response.

Zodwa was hovering over her.

"Still sore?"

"Yeah." she replied. "Probably for a few more days. Is everyone getting ready to go?"

"Still have to get the boys." they replied.

"Are Kai and Sama still here?"

Zodwa nodded.

"They're down the hall. They ate and then just made themselves right at home."

Rubi sat up and stretched gently. Mimi was already up, repinning her shawl. Hers was smaller and shorter than Rubi's, since she usually wore skirts or dresses like the locals. She looked nice in both.

Rubi had never felt very comfortable in either. She was content to temporarily wear something over her usual short breeches, or long ones in winter, just not forever. She wanted to swim, climb, run, and do whatever she wanted. At least at the end of a visit, she could leave.

"Could you help pin me up, Mimi?"

"Of course." she chimed immediately. "Traditional style, modern youthful style, unmarried and eligible style?"

"Um... traditional is fine. Let's not draw too much attention."

"I'll go get those boys." Zodwa said. "Take'Ichi probably needs some help fixing that pink clay powder to his face. Rose water, I tell you. It's a damn miracle."

"See you downstairs." Rubi said, forcing a smile as another pain jolted through her. "Mimi, is it too soon for some more medicine?"

Mimi tilted her head, thinking while she fastened the pins into the red and gold fabric.

"It is a few hours too early. How do you rate your pain out of five?"

"Around two. Maybe three."

"Any pain in your back?"

"Some. More than yesterday, I'd say three."

"Unusual. Very unusual given the time frame."

"Good thing we're doing the markets tonight. I feel like this pain is going on for longer each time I get it."

"There is a possibility that the illness is progressing even while we remedy the symptoms."

"And not treating the symptoms just isn't an option." Rubi muttered. "Then there's medicine for the side effects. And maybe more medicine for the side effects from those. The list goes on. I just want to find a cure. I've had to deal with this more than half of my life."

The thought of struggling with it for the rest of her life was infuriating.

"All done." Mimi said. "Ready to go?"

"Yeah, let's do this."

They picked up their bags and locked their room behind them, slowly descending the stairs to the lower floor. Gaku was already waiting, stroking his triangular beard in deep thought. The scar running down the middle of his face and nose caught the lamplight, pale and slightly risen. She had never asked how he got it.

"Thinking that hard must hurt." Rubi joked, breaking his concentration.

"Oh, yeah." he said. "Pain is just a consequence for being this smart and beautiful. I am constantly suffering. Good nap?"