Chapter 6: The Unexpected

"You can't be serious." Rubi said. "Assuming we could smuggle 'a bunch' of people away, where could we even take them?"

"Akali. There's a safe haven there, a nonviolent community."

Gaku produced a map and slapped it on the table. It was a beautiful map. It was actually complete, unlike hers which had major port cities and often outdated borders.

"Are we too drunk to be planning this?" Rubi suggested. "We could wait 'til tomorrow."

Gaku thought for a moment.

"Nah!"

He pointed to Akali, a large country over the sea to the East of Minami. He traced his finger from a port city there over to Kibo.

"We get them to the port here. That's our only obligation, if you accept this job."

"How many people?"

"Twenty confirmed. Fifteen on my ship, five on yours. I can take all twenty, but I wanted to offer."

"How much?"

"One thousand Mingam randyal per passenger."

Rubi did some mental arithmetic in her head quickly.

"What about food for twenty people?"

"They're bringing their own sorghum flour, nuts and dried produce for thirty days, we could be there in twenty. I didn't want to charge them any more than we had to."

"Gaku," Rubi said, rubbing her brow. "Can we talk about this in the morning? Right now, I just want to go to bed."

Gaku's eyes widened and he flushed red.

"Should we leave you two alone for a while?" Udi asked, reappearing suddenly in Rubi's peripheral vision.

"No not like that!" Rubi protested the instant she processed the joke. "I mean to my own room, by myself."

"And lock Mimi out?"

"No, Kagemaru, she can come because she doesn't make fun of me when I'm drunk."

In the distance, a metal clang rang out, followed by another, and another, the sound coming closer with each ring. Each shopkeeper hit a metal pan with a spoon or similar, followed by the shop next to them. A wave of sound travelled down the tunnel, the signal for sun up, and to tell them to close the vents in the tunnel ceiling.

"Back to the tavern." Zodwa said solemnly, looking down the tunnel. The safe place under the city had come to an end, like it always did. People redressed into their modest overclothes, ready to return to their lives above on the surface. The shops were packed away and before long there was no trace of a secret market left at all, save for some footprints and smoldering torches.

Rubi walked heavily back to the well door, dreading the climb back up the ladder in her intoxicated state. She wondered if the ropes were swaying or if her mind was. A brilliant orange sun peeked over the horizon, stinging her eyes and casting long, eerie shadows. She desperately wanted to collapse into bed. Everyone but Mimi looked worse for wear and, in Take'Ichi's case, a little wilted.

She leaned on her friend, Mimi barely affected by her body weight. Nothing new.

"Mimi," she said quietly. "Should we do it? Take this job?"

"It would be both moral and rewarding." she replied. "Perhaps sleep on it? It's your decision, Captain."

"Don't call me Captain. It doesn't suit me at all. If I had some genuine leadership skills, like Gaku, maybe I could accept it."