Chapter 12: The Decree

Jiritsu Capital, Jiritsu

They marched out in single file into the snowy gardens. Shivering, the castle's staff waited to be addressed, the structure itself stood eerily silent and looming behind them like a mausoleum. Fifty or sixty men, Takumi counted from his window, and half as many women staff members. He had no idea who they were or who in the palace they may represent.

The armed forces stood to the side, locked in formation, their banner of the blue wave and golden wheat flying. The last of noble ladies filed out with the remaining concubines, perhaps two dozen in total. A flock of tropical birds in their layered silk robes, clashing against the snow.

The eldest women stood out from the crowd, some supported by walking canes, their once black hair now almost totally silver. The weight of their winter coats bowed their frames. Their daughters stood close to them. Some were crying.

The winter garden framed the crowds in a fitting scene. Struggling and overwhelmed. The attending staff whispered quietly amongst themselves, most nervous and all confused as to why they had been summoned. Not every worker in the castle had been called, just those who headed certain task groups. Whatever they would be told they would likely have to share it among their staff.

The private army remained silent, trained to hold their tongues and follow orders. After the massacre of the generals in the courtyard a single older Major stood at the front, uncomfortable with his sudden promotion.

Takumi had been reading a lot, and it helped him in identifying different members of the court. The wives of the old warlord wore bright colours, depending on the season, and up to twelve layers at a time in the colder months. Their underclothes were always red, the peak of their collar visible no more than a finger's width at the neck. Their sashes were adorned with the family crest in gold thread, always gold, and tied at the back in huge loops.

The unmarried daughters who remained in their home wore white underclothes, which progressed in a single colour growing steadily brighter and more saturated. Sky blue, spring green, mustard yellow, sunny orange, deep red, rich violet, moody indigo, ocean turquoise. Their outfits were held in place by wide, back tied sashes with their father's sigil in silver. They were the eight remaining daughters of the old man.

The concubines wore greys with various undertones and solid black, their wide, stiff silk belts tied at the front in elaborate knots with ribbons and padding. No sigil for the concubines, not until they bore a son and were promoted to 'wife'. Their hair was worn in strict styles, never ever symmetrical, unlike ladies of noble birth. Their hair adornments and makeup was the brightest, almost garish in comparison, like a costume. Lips too red, eyes too dark.

Notably, there was no head wife dressed in gold, pink and red. The one who should occupy the empty seat by the main throne, the one Takumi saw the day the warlord died. The seat Amakaya now occupied. He had not seen her since Taisho had called him into his office to discuss his cousin. He wondered if she was in trouble.

"Under the rule of my father," Taisho announced to the groups shivering in the gardens. He was not shaking in the slightest. He seemed not to feel the cold blasts of the wind. "This country has adopted a strict system of registry for families and immigration. From today, these papers will be amended across the country to determine your lineage, namely your Collector heritage."

A murmur came from the crowds, people looking from side to side suspiciously. Takumi wondered if these ordinary people know what is coming next.

"In my castle," the new warlord continued. "Magic is welcome. We shall align our gifts under this roof. Priority for all work and provisions here will go to Collectors and those with direct Collector heritage. In order to amend your papers, you must register the magical members of your family with authorities posted in each major town in the land. Registration must be made in person and can only be granted to those on your family documents. Those without gifts, but with Collector blood from mothers and grandmothers, will receive a secondary and tertiary amendment respectively and be granted similar freedoms. Any families wishing to immigrate here must register their heritage at the nearest outpost. Falsifications of these documents is not recommended for those who do not wish to suffer a truly dreadful fate."